D U L U X

"Rose!"

"Rose!"

I turn at the sound of my name being called, trying to stand tall enough to see over the sea of heads in the school corridor. Being five foot nothing means I have zero hope of this, but I have to at least try.

"Rose! Rose Lux Johnson!"

Urgh.

My parents must've been high when I was born, giving me a name more appropriate for a tin of paint. I scowl at Sheena, my best friend, who has just dug herself a grave right beside mine.

"Social suicide. Thanks for that, mate," I drawl sarcastically.

Sheena grins, slapping me on the back before lifting her phone up for me to see.

"Whatever, look who's throwing a party this weekend?"

"Throwing a party? You sound like a wannabe socialite-" I scoff, rolling my eyes as we continue to navigate the carnage that was the sixth form corridor.

"Duh, there's no wannabe about it," huffs Sheena, her tight black curls bobbing around her pretty face as she tries to zoom in on her phone. "It's Felicity. You know she always invites older guys, and that means Fletcher might be there."

My heart skips a beat at the mention of Fletcher- a guy who left school last year. The guy I've been crushing on for my entire duration here, and getting nowhere fast. Fletcher is a gorgeous bad boy, and his girlfriends are usually the sort of girls that make your jaw drop with their beauty and sass, not to mention their fierce reputation.

"How is it fair that Felicity gets a name like that, and her parents let her have these parties like, every other weekend? My Mum and Dad still insist on taking me to the chippy on a Friday night before watching family Catchphrase," I grumble, as Sheena bites back laughter.

"Your parents are sound, you're lucky. Anyway, I like your name."

I decide not to respond, instead slumping into a seat beside the window, gazing wistfully outside as the world continues spinning. I can't wait to leave school; it felt like an actual prison. I want freedom so bad I can almost taste it, but my parents are so strict I barely have any. Sheena smiles down at her phone, the latest model of course, and I remember that she has recently acquired Malik Henry's number.

"How is Malik today?" I grin, waving my hand in front of Sheena's face playfully. Her deep brown eyes roll in my direction, before she slips her phone into her blazer pocket.

"Malik is sleeping, I think. He doesn't seem to get up early."

"College boys, hmm?" I tease, as Sheena giggles, shrugging her shoulders dreamily.

"He isn't a boy, girl. He is all man-"

"Morning fuckers," declares a voice from the doorway, making the teacher slam her hands on the desk in anger.