Chapter 7: Lies & Bloodlines

Start from the beginning

…To be honest, her words stung. All of them. The fact that she went on as if she hadn’t just acknowledged you as a foster child hurt even more. She came in to tell you to do something, and even though you tried weakly to fix your relationship with her, she still left after telling you to do something. Since it was coming from someone who was supposed to be your mother figure, it pained you greatly—no matter the bloodlines.

You’d tried. You did. But… maybe she didn’t want your love. Maybe she regretted—no.

You knew she regretted adopting you.

Why were she and Henry still putting up with you? At least… you hoped to God they liked Peter.

If you didn’t feel that you loved your foster parents, how could you expect them to love you? The relationship felt strange, but unlike them, you felt an intense emotional attachment to Peter, your adoptive brother. He felt like he was your own blood—your real little brother. You’d do anything to protect him, and… you’d try to get along with everyone if it was for his sake.

You knew he loved you, saw you as his sister—as well as loved Lauren, Henry, and saw the four of you as a real family.

With the devastating situation that you were all in, you couldn’t bear to take that one last piece of innocence away from him.

-D-E-A-D-L-Y-A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N-

That night, Allen called you to tell you about the vandalization.

He’d informed you of the idea long before he went through with it, and from the start, you didn’t have a good feeling about it. But since it wasn’t anything too reckless and it was for someone whom he despised for a good reason, you didn’t tell him your worries.

…Besides, he was really, really excited about it. He nearly reminded you of a child planning to steal cookies from the cupboard as he explained his idea. It was… kind of charming, and you knew he wasn’t the type to easily get caught, so you’d basically just shrugged and stood on the sidelines as he went through with it.

“That damn cop’s house is trashed. I literally had to step back and admire my work, y’know?!” He laughed—nearly villainously. He always sounded pretty fucking adorable through the phone. “Inside and out. That piece of shit is gonna regret ever meeting me!~”

“Yeah… and there’s no way he could know it was you, right?” You were lying in bed; everyone in the house was asleep.

He stopped laughing. “Well, duh. I wore gloves the whole time; you think I’m stupid or something?”

You shook your head, even though you knew he couldn’t see it. “Of course not! I just want to make sure you’re safe.”

You could practically see him rolling his eyes. If this was the case, you wondered if he sensed your head-shake. “You don’t have to worry about me, dollface.” His voice lowered, “You never have to worry about anything when you’re with me…”

You grinned dreamily, “Y-Yeah… I know.”

Anyway,” He went back to explaining his night of illegal revenge, “It was fun as hell. Why didn’t I ever do this to someone before? Haha, I’m not gonna forget this for a while…”

He sounded genuinely excited. It truly must have been an adrenaline rush to wreck the house of an enemy—someone he hated to the point of destruction.