Chapter 3: A Crimson Kiss

Love

Can sometimes be a weapon

Of mass destruction.

Chapter 3: A Crimson Kiss

“Have you noticed how close together these houses are? They’re starting to make me feel claustrophobic. I kinda saw in the beginning, but never really paid attention. Y’know, now that I walk around and stuff… um, yeah, it’s weird. I guess I’m just used to houses spaced really widely apart... uh, no, I-I don’t know…” You shrugged, trying to sound cool. But on the inside, you wanted to punch yourself.

At the moment, you were probably the worst small-talker in the world. You were speaking about how closely together the houses were placed, for god’s sake. And that was only because you’d taken a glance towards them and suddenly begun running your mouth to fill the silence. Next you’d probably start talking about the weather in a futile attempt to make conversation. Any conversation.

The whole time you were chatting mindlessly, Allen gave you confused looks. Unbeknownst to you, he had a clear What-the-flying-fuck expression on his face throughout most of the walk. “…Okay, seriously—you don’t look like the type, but _____... are you on drugs?” He finally spoke.

Your jaw dropped in surprise, “Hey… w-what?”

He started laughing when he realized you were being serious the whole time and not just playing around like he’d halfway hoped. “Haha! You’re so awkward, dollface~” He sang between giggles.

You looked down to the sidewalk, embarrassed. “I-I’m not awkward…” I just don’t know what to say to you at the moment. As you walked along beside him, you kicked a stone across the cement, still trying to fight your blush.

Once he’d composed himself, he lightly kicked the same rock and continued leading the way to his house. “Okay, maybe just sometimes.” He sideways-glanced at you, lips turned up in a crooked smile, hands in jean pockets. For some reason you couldn’t look directly into those crimson eyes for too long or handle seeing that sexy smirk for any more than a few seconds.

“You’re such a tease…” You mumbled, looking back to the street. But why was he being so quiet earlier? It was making me nervous… he’s never usually that silent.

“Sure, sure,” He glanced behind him, noticing that your house was still within viewing distance. Well shit—your messed-up lawn was practically visible from space. He scowled at the sight of your foster parents, who were outside for once. “What are Mr. Thief and Ms. Bitch doing out there?”

You chuckled at his nicknames for Henry and Lauren, “They’re trying to identify all those cars and boats; they want to contact a business to remove them for us. All of them are ancient and falling apart.”

But Allen wasn’t listening anymore. He’d made it to his own front yard—and without turning to look at you—wordlessly grabbed your wrist and tugged you over to the door.

“Whoa, what’s the rush…?” You wondered aloud as he speed-walked for the entry, threw it open (leaving you to shut it as he half-ran down the halls), and stomped up the stairs, all while keeping an iron grip on your hand. You didn’t dare complain that the tightness would probably leave a bruise around your wrist.

“Are we going to your room or-” You began as he dragged you down the upstairs hallway towards a bedroom.

“-You bet we’re going to my room.” He grumbled as he turned the knob, stepped inside, threw you in, and shoved you against the door with a muffled bang.