32: Maybe Perfect

Start from the beginning

“Okay thanks little sis. So, what are you doing tonight… are Mary and Dennis going out or staying home with you?” he asked and I realized that I’d have to tell him about my date.

“Actually…” I said, trailing off sheepishly.

I heard Max gasp on the other end of the phone. “Oh god, you have a date don’t you? Please tell me it’s that Jett guy you’ve been hanging around with.” he stated in a hurry.

Laughing at his quickened speaking pace, I responded. “Umm… yea actually, we’re going to dinner and a movie tonight.” I said shyly, twisting a piece of lose hair in circles.

“Well, I’m happy for you Soph and I hope you have a good time. He seems like a good guy and hopefully he treats my baby sister like she’s meant to be treated.” he replied and I smiled. I loved my brother sometimes. “Anyways, I have to get going now. I gotta pick up Kara’s present from the store and then start on dinner, I’ll talk to you later Soph.”

“Okay, bye Max. Love you.” I responded.

“Love you too Squirt.” he said before I heard the dial tone on my phone, notifying me that my brother had hung up.

I pulled the phone away from my ear and sighed. Sometimes I wished that Max wasn’t away at university because I did miss him a lot and we were always so close but I knew that he loved it there and if he hadn’t of gone away to school he would’ve never met Kara. They seemed happy together and I was really happy for both of them.

Leaving my thoughts on my brother's love life behind, my love life problems came back into focus. Then I remembered what I was doing before Max called and I dialed Piper’s number immediately, knowing it off by heart.

“Hello there my loved up friend, now what can Piper do for you today?” she said, answering her phone on the third ring.

I rolled my eyes at my best friend’s crazy personality. Every time she would answer the phone, whether it be somebody she knew or if it was a total stranger, she would come up with some silly catchphrase. This one in particular I’d not heard before. “Good job Piper, never heard that one before.” I replied, voicing my thoughts over the phone.

Piper giggled into the receiver. “Haha thanks, I’ve been working on it for a while.” she said sarcastically. “Anyways, may I ask why my best friend is calling me when she should be getting ready for her first date with Mr. Hunky McDunky?”

I laughed at Piper’s newest nickname for Jett and realized that she almost never used his actual name. “Well, that’s the problem smarty pants. I need help.” I stated after my laughing fit subsided.