44: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 44

I was left speechless as I exited the app on my phone and sank back into the couch. My mind was spinning with reasons why he would want me there tonight but before I could settle on one specifically, Piper had already begun hitting me.

“What the hell was that?” she screeched ecstatically, probably succeeding in busting my eardrum in the process.

When I turned my body slightly to glare at her, rubbing my ear simultaneously, I saw that she had a gigantic grin plastered onto her face. Turning my glare into a sheepish smile, I replied. “I guess it was Jett trying to get my attention?”

In reality, I really didn’t know what that was either.

“What, a call wouldn’t have been enough?” Piper asked sarcastically. “He had to go on the radio and have some random announce it to the world?”

I shook my head slightly, notifying her of the mistake she had made. “That wasn’t some just anybody Piper, it was Jett on Carter’s radio show.” I explained with a small smile on my face, just now starting to think about how sweet it had been, and the song at the end just made it all the more adorable.

“Whaaaat?” both Blake and Piper asked in unison, probably confused.

The next couple minutes were spent explaining how Carter’s parents had bought him a radio station and that both him and Jett worked there regularly as DJ’s. I did, however, skip over the more personal parts about Carter’s poor academic past.

Once my explanation was finished, they both simply nodded their heads in understanding, not questioning anything that I had obviously omitted from the story.

“So… Jett wants you at his performance tonight to tell you something?” Blake asked, stating the obvious.

I nodded and dropped my head into my hands. “He’s gonna break up with me isn’t he?’ I asked, although my voice was slightly muffled.

“Hey, don’t think like that.” Piper said, placing a comforting hand on my arm and rubbing up and down slowly before continuing. “He could just want to explain to you why he’s been so distant over the past week, I mean, just a couple minutes ago you were freaking out over it and now you can get some answers.”

I sighed, leaning into Blake as Piper continued to rub my arm in support. “Why couldn’t he just come to my house and explain that to me, he’s obviously bringing me to a public place so he doesn’t have to worry about me making a huge scene out of a break up or something.”