32: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 32

As I thought, when I arrived to work an hour later the first thing that Annie did was question me about Jett. Apparently somebody, *cough* Piper *cough*, had informed her of the date that I had happily accepted for next weekend.

After going through and repeating the interesting tale of how he asked me out and taking the many I-told-you-so’s she threw at me, the rest of my shift was pretty normal. I was just glad that Jett didn’t decide that today was a good day for a coffee because I was already having a hard enough time concentrating on the customers correct change with Annie sending me suggestive looks every now and then and my own personal thoughts about the boy, I didn’t need him to be an added distraction.

The week went on, slowly and surely, and before I knew it, it Saturday afternoon and I was a bundle of nerves.

During the last week, Jett and I had hung out a couple of times with my friends or just working on our English project, however, yesterday was the first time he had brought up our date. When he did, I blushed at first but kept my cool and talked it out. We had decided to go with our original plan of going out to dinner but we were also going to a movie after. I know it sounded cliché but honestly, it didn’t matter what we did because I was just excited to spend some time with him.

I was currently sitting on the couch with my phone in my hand as I had the intention to call Piper over for some advice on what to wear tonight, however, before I could dial her number, my phone was ringing with a familiar number.

As I saw the name flashing on the screen a smile grew on my face as I pressed the ‘Accept’ button. “Hey big bro!” I said cheerily into the receiver.

I heard Max chuckle on the other end of the phone. “Hey sis, how’s it going?”

“Oh you know; a lot of studying, a good work schedule and hanging out with my friends… the usual.” I replied happily. “What about you? Are you and Kara still going out?”

I could practically hear him smile through the phone. “Yea, she’s great and that’s actually what I called about…” he said, trailing off.

“What do you mean?” I asked, slightly confused.

“Well seeing as today’s Valentine’s Day I wanted to ask you a small question. So Kara’s coming over for dinner tonight and I’m cooking for her but I also got her this cute little heart necklace but I wanted to know if you thought getting her flowers and chocolate was taking it a little too far?” he asked, seeming nervous about his first Valentine’s Day with his girlfriend.

I smiled at my brother’s nervousness before replying. “I think that the dinner and the necklace would be enough, maybe just put a couple of candles on the table and then that’s good. Kara already loves you and I’m sure she’d want to know that you aren’t being a try hard but just being yourself. The flowers and chocolate would just be over the top.”