twenty one

disclaimer: i apologize for not being so active recently! i've been catching up on school and taking mental breaks so pls bare with me!! <3
———————————————————————-
As I walked into the Dining Hall to catch an early breakfast to myself, I thought about last night. I hadn't noticed the ghosts who frequented the castle grounds until now. Maybe those who were invisible liked to be that way.

I found my seat at the Hufflepuff table, the closest person to me was Hannah Abbott, about 5 benches down. I flipped open my Potions textbook, preparing for my exam that day. I took out a pencil and began underlining words I assumed were important. I got so lost in the book that I jumped when someone's shoulder bumped my own.

"Psst!" Malfoy hissed from beside me. "Grimm, listen to me." He raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to respond. I shut the book and looked up at him, his face tensed when I did.

"If this is about that letter, Malfoy, I read it." The words spilled from my lips and caused Draco to furrow his brows and frown. He paused and looked down at his hands, fidgeting with a ring.

"Well what the fuck do you think about it?" He snarled, trying to put up a wall between us. "I think...meet me by the lake tonight at 9, alright? And don't bring any toads this time." I joked. He managed to put on an uncomfortable smile, and he looked quite embarrassed.

"See you in potions later, yeah?" He finally said. I nodded haphazardly. I continued my studying while he shuffled back to the Slytherin table, sitting alone with a cold bowl of porridge.

In Herbology, Neville was going on about some plant that can change forms at the wave of a wand. It felt too rude of me to say anything that would indicate how annoyed Ron and I were. Ron glanced at me, with worry in his eyes, and it wasn't because of Neville.

"What is it, Ron?" I whispered. He put down his plant and licked his lips, preparing what he was going to say. "Adela, I heard that You Know Who is back." He shivered and raised his eyebrows. "You mean,Voldemort?" I replied.

"VOLDEMORT'S BACK!?" Neville shouted, cutting of the plant he was explaining. The entire class looked back at us with shock and confusion. Within minutes, the Professor had to run after students who had left the classroom and calm down others who were crying.

Class ended early and Neville received a detention for making false accusations and disrupting the students learning environment.

The rest of the day was smooth, and the extra morning studying paid off, as I passed my Potions exam with flying colors. I was really getting good at this whole witch thing. Snape was passing the exams back in alphabetical order, when he got to "M" he called out, "Malfoy!" There was no response. "Where is Draco Malfoy?"

Draco's POV
I got out of school after second period to deal with Death Eater business. Now that I was one of them, my entire life was devoted to Voldemort, regardless of my other responsibilities. Lucius was waiting for me when I apparated to the Manor. It was cloudy, cold, and lonely, just like I remembered.

He guided me inside, grasping my arm tight, cutting off the circulation. His long hair was unable to mask the despairing look on his face.
"Don't mess this up for us, Draco." He seethed as he led me down the corridor, to the dining room.

Every seat at the table was full. Full of people I recognized, and other's I didn't. Then I saw my mother waving her hand, and showing me to my seat. I was next to my mother and father, and at the head of the table was none other than the Dark Lord himself. Lord Voldemort. The man I'd only heard my parents speak of. The man that all of us had sacrificed our lives for.

"Our final guest has arrived!" Voldemort hissed, his words sounding much like a snake's. He had sunken eyes and two small slits where his nose should've been. He was pale white, paler than I was. I could see his veins scattering across his cheeks.

"Hello, Draco." He nodded to me. I was so terrified, so afraid that if I said the wrong thing, he'd kill me right there, in front of everyone. "It's a pleasure, my lord." I managed to get out with my shaky voice. My palms were sweating and my whole body was trembling. I could hear the chair rattling below me. "Ah, but the pleasure is all mine." He responded.

"Now...I have called you all here, because as you know, our reign of terror is forthcoming. I hope you all are counting down the days until the downfall of the Ministry." His snake-like figure stood up and moved around the room, the others looking at him with lust and awe.

He made his way over to my seat, clutching the back with his long bony fingers. "Have you killed the girl, Draco?" He questioned. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I couldn't give him the answer he wanted. "No, my lord. Not yet." I whimpered, praying he wouldn't kill me. "Tsk tsk tsk," he grabbed my face with his hand, "Not making your lord happy. You better kill her soon. Or I'll have to do it myself...Nagini!" He called out. A large snake with green eyes slithered through his feet. With his hands still clutching my face he scowled, "Bite." I wailed in pain.

Adela's POV
Night had rolled around and I wrestled with the idea of looking for Draco. His absence in Potions and at dinner was concerning. I hoped he wasn't planning another surprise prank.
I threw on a sweater and some jeans before heading out to the lake. It was surprisingly easy to sneak out of the grounds after hours.

When I got there, I saw Draco sitting by the water's edge. His silver hair glistened in the moonlight. He was wearing a black tank top, leaving his forearm exposed. I had never seen him wear anything other than long sleeves. I was admiring his muscular arms, which were playing with a rock he'd picked up. I moved over to him and sat down.

"Hi." I said awkwardly. My eyes made their way to his forearm, where the Dark Mark was in plain view. The moon made it come alive. It looked almost as if the snake was moving, slithering out of the mouth of the skull. "I knew you'd look at it." He said, snapping me out of my trance. "But I'm glad you came anyway." The corners of his mouth turned into a smile. He looked genuinely happy to see me, and for now, that was all I needed.