-17-

Kuroo's POV

Thursday night or afternoon I guess, around 6:00 pm. After school today I went and did my homework in the park as well, it's slightly cold since it is fall but not enough to bother me. I spent most of my time studying sign language though rather then school work, I was getting pretty good and could probably keep a conversation by now. I didn't want to risk Kenma coming here and being alone, however, eventually I was pulled home for dinner. I kept repeating what Kenma had texted me in my head, I can get out by 1. 

So that Thursday night, technically Friday morning, at around 12:58 am I made my way back out. As I approached the park the pit in my stomach began to grow, I was scared to be honest. I didn't imagine I would see Kenma even though I hoped I would, but if I did see him what would he look like. What happened to him the past three days, what would his mom do to him? I figured she already knew he was talking to me, telling by the information Kenma gave me on her that can't be good. The walk seemed longer then usually and my mind seemed to go over ever bit of information I had collected on the boy over the past few days.

The bruises around his neck, which I ruled to not be a trick of the light and most likely caused by his mom. His fear of telling me he was mute, I assumed he was probably bullied or something because of it. Finally, his wrists, which he admitted was due to his mother. I wonder if Kenma was always mute, or was it something he developed? I just realized I didn't know much about Kenma's father, perhaps he wasn't around. When my long walk came to an end I checked my phone, 1:03 am. I walked towards the bench by the pond ready to face the emptiness. However, I stopped in my tracks when I saw the frail pudding head boy sitting there, he must have heard me walk over since he turned to look at me before standing up, hugging me.

Kenma's POV

Early Thursday Morning

I threw away the empty box of bandages in the bathroom garbage after using the last one to cover up a small gash on my shoulder. Unfortunately for me, my mother had decided to read threw Kuroo and I's messages. I figured her smashing my phone would be good for me, at least a bit, since she couldn't read the messages, I didn't think she'd remove the SD card to snoop. To say she was displeased with our conversations was an understatement, the glass pieces lodged through my body proved that. Dinner last night was, interesting to say the least. I didn't eat, she drank three bottles of wine and then threw her cup at me, so honestly a pretty normal day she was just a bit more angry.

I glanced over at the clock on the bathroom wall, 12:40. I thought back to the park and the pond and Kuroo. The way he spoke to me wasn't anything like I was used to, once I became mute people looked at me like I was something to pity, my mother just looked at me in disgust but that wasn't anything new. Kuroo didn't look at me like that though, I can't really explain what his eyes were saying but I don't think it was anything bad, in fact quite the opposite. He was safe and being around him made me feel warm, I'm not letting her take him away from me no matter what. I can't lose him, I'm not going to let what happened to me and Shoyo happen to Kuroo and I.

I slowly crept down the stairs towards the front door, it was deathly silent. I reached for the handle and turned it slowly to avoid making any sounds. Suddenly the lights turned on and my vision took a second to adjust, I let go of the door knob.

"You think I wouldn't know what you were up too?" I turned to face my mother who was very much not asleep, she must have read about our meeting and knew I'd leave now. "Do you take me for an idiot, hmm Ken?" Every time I heard that nickname it felt like needles digging into me, I didn't think a word would hurt so much, especially not a name. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, which were surely widened with fear. She slowly walked towards me and suddenly I found my will to move again. I swiftly reached back towards the door, if I can just get out I can run, I can make it to the park. My hand hit the metal of the door handle before the back of my shirt was pulled. I laid on the floor too scared to move. "Why would you want to leave me Ken? Do you really think this kid is going to stay with you?" She hovered over me looking down at me, I tried to catch my breath which had been throw out of me when I fell. "You know he'll eventually get bored and aggravated with you." She crotched down to get closer to me face. "No one cares Ken, certainly not this stranger." She stood up and began to walk away, I thought I was free but I could hear her rummaging through the kitchen. I thought back to her words, no one cares, he'll eventually get bored and aggravated, I just couldn't see that happening. After everything I told him and after everything he said I just can't see Kuroo leaving.

I tried my best to sit up and lean again the wall besides me, which I was successfully able to do. I could hear my heart beat ringing in my ears but I didn't get the chance to calm down before he returned. I spotted a long metal spoon in her hands, ah shit this is going to hurt isn't it. She crotched down to my level once again. "I need to teach you manners Ken, you understand don't you." Personally I didn't understand but it's not like I could tell her that, even if I could speak I was to scared. I gulped and kept my eyes glued to the weapon in front of me. I could feel myself being to shake. "Until you can behave like a good boy," She slowly stood up and towered over me. "I going to need to keep punishing you."

Thursday Afternoon

I woke up when a gust of cold wind hit me, I pulled myself up slowly from my spot on the floor. Everything hurt. I wasn't able to make it up the stairs last night let alone to me own bed. I'm pretty sure I passed out, I don't remember her hitting me this many times. I scanned my skin which was covered in purple bruises and pushed myself off the floor. It hurt but not as much as it did a few hours prior.

"Ahh you're up, finally stop taking up space in the hallway and come eat breakfast." I shuffled my way into the kitchen and sat down at the table, breakfast was two waffles and some syrup. My eyes found the clock on the kitchen stove, 10:23 am. I thought she was suppose to work today, why was she still here. She glared at me as if reading my mind before saying, "I took off to keep an eye on you."

The rest of the day was uneventfully boring, I wasn't allowed to sit in my room even though the window was now nailed shut. My computer, my phone, even my tv were taken from me I wasn't allowed to access the outside world. Again her words played in my mind like a broken record, no one cares, he'll eventually get bored and aggravated. Maybe it was the boredom getting to me but I began to wonder if he really would. How much did I actually know about Kuroo, was he the type to do that? Usually I wouldn't care but even though it's only been about three days without talking to him I already feel more lonely then before. I looked over at the kitchen clock again which I could see from my spot in the living room, 12:13 am. My mother rested on the arm chair next to me, she seemed to be dozing off even though she tried her best to pay attention to her small screen. If I wanted to leave now was my chance, I'd have to be quick.

I bolted from the couch to the door pulling on the handle, locked. I turned to lock and pulled open the front door before being pulled back again myself. Once again I found myself laying on the floor, my mother still holding the collar of my shirt tightly. "Why do you never learn Ken! Why do you want me to be the bad guy." Her grip tightened and began to cut off my circulation strangling me. I looked around frantically for anything before my eyes rested on the vase on the table next to me. I grabbed her ankles with the little strength I had left and pulled her down with me. I kicked the end table and the vase landed in my lap. I ignored the pain pulsing threw me and stood up tossing the glass down next her, missing her it shattered on the floor next to her face.

I ran faster then I every had before, my adrenaline was pumping allowing me to ignore the pain which I'm sure would hit me when I stopped. I reached the park bench and collapsed to the ground, I was right the pain did hit me once I stopped. I could barely stand but had just enough strength to pull myself up onto the bench. I laid down and my eyes grew heavy before shutting, not the ideal place to sleep since I'm sure my mother knew of it but I couldn't hold it any longer.

I woke up what seemed about a few minutes later once I regained consciousness I heard the sound of leaves and foot steps. My mother, she found me. I wiped my head around and stood up preparing to run again despite the pain. However, it wasn't her. It was Kuroo. I didn't even think, my body moved on it's own, and tears began to well up as I pulled him into the tightest hug I'd ever given someone. Kuroo felt safe.