Chapter 8: Take a picture if you want; it'll last longer

Začať od začiatku

I let Lucas in the house and shut the door. I lead him into the living room and sat on the couch whilst putting the TV on. I had literally just turned the channel over when a rhythmic knock from the door sounded from the doorway. 

I opened the door to see a nicely dressed Jace at the other side. He was wearing black jeans with a white t-shirt and white converse. Simple but nice. 

"Hey," he said, a small smile playing on his lips. 

"Hey. Come in," I moved to the side allowing him to enter the house. 

He handed me a bottle of wine before saying, "I wasn't one hundred percent sure what you all liked so I brought this." I looked at the bottle, it was red wine. 

"You didn't have to bring anything but thank you anyway. I personally don't like red, but Calla loves it," I told him and led him into the living room. 

Lucas was sitting down watching a show on the TV when we walked into the living room. He must have saw our reflection on the glass sliding doors that lead to the garden because he stood up and greeted Jace in a friendly, man way. They stood there slapping each other's backs, I walked out the room into the kitchen and dining room to set the table.

The first thing I noticed when I began setting the table was Calla stood there with a glass of wine already. I handed the bottle of wine Jace gave us to Calla and told both Syd and Calla that everyone is here.

-

The food was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because previously when all three of us have tried to cook a meal, we either end up burning it or it tasting like complete rubbish. Luckily for us though, that didn't happen today.

We all sat around the table, two conversations going on at once, me in neither of them. I must have zoned out because when I heard someone calling my name, it took me a second to register what was going on.  

"Earth to Ivy," Calla said, waving her hand in front of my face. Sydney and Lucas were sitting at the ends of the table, I had Calla on my right, Lucas on my left and Jace opposite me. 

"Hmm?" 

"Jace was asking you what you do for a job," Syd informed me. 

"Oh okay." 

I turned my vision towards the guy sitting opposite me. I inspected him for a split second as he ate. Thankfully, he ate quietly and with his mouth closed. 

"I work as a personal assistant for my boss, Sarah. She is a really nice boss and I get to work at her beautiful house. A win-win really." 

"House? That's unusual. You enjoy it though, right?" Jace questioned in response. Why does he care if I enjoy my job or not? 

"Yes, I do," I replied.

I looked down and carried on eating my food when I felt someone's sock covered foot lightly touch the side of my leg. It was probably an accident, so I didn't respond in any way. That was until I felt it again. 

And again, and again. Constantly. 

I sneakily glanced under the table only to see that it was Jace attempting to play footsie with me. 

I was not in the mood. 

I looked up and saw Jace intensely looking in my direction, the sides of his mouth slightly tugging up at the sides when he noticed me looking at him. 

Letting no emotion show on my face, I looked back down at my food and tuck my feet behind the legs of the chair. 

We had all finished dinner and had since moved into the living room. I was sat on my favourite sea blue beanbag whilst everyone else was seated on the big white couch. I was mindlessly scrolling through my social media accounts when I overheard someone saying about moving out.