The Finale

I would like to say that I had a long and happy marriage with Erik, and that would certainly be true if people counted 2 weeks as a long marriage. The first week of our marriage was like a dream, both of us were so happy. I still remember looking up at box 5 at my first performance of Faust and saw Erik beaming down at me, looking as though he would burst with pride. After that performance, Erik's health took a turn for the worst. He believed that it was because his body had finally stopped fighting death as he had gotten everything he'd ever wanted. I had urged him to continue fighting, to stay alive for me, but I could tell that this time, Erik wouldn't be escaping deaths grasp. I was honestly shocked that he was able to live another week, he was bed bound for that entire week and there were times when it seemed Erik was chocking on his own breathing. During that week I got the understudy to play my role in Faust and cared for Erik, spending his final moments with him and pretending that everything was fine. I got very little sleep that week, staying up through the night to watch Erik and make sure that nothing happened. I knew that there was no point even staying awake, as he said so long ago, I was not in anyway a medical professional and there was nothing I could help. I couldn't call a doctor either because heaven knows that even on his deathbed Erik would throw a fit. I spent that week sitting by him like a loyal dog, holding his hand and hoping that my presence was enough to help him be strong and unafraid. I had hoped that at least I would be with him in his final moments, but even that was not meant to be. After a week of resistance, succumbed to sleep on the Monday around 12. I hadn't sleeper for long, but when I woke at 2, I found the hand I was holding was limp and the Erik's chest still.

***I sat by the tombstone, not caring for the expensive coat I was wearing touching the wet grass and the mud. I stared blankly into the tombstone that was as black as oblivion. In bold, gold letters "Erik" was edged into it, and underneath his name in smaller writing was "You are loved." That was all. No last name, no date, no unnecessary decorations, and no flowers. It was empty, but that's how he would have wanted it. He wanted to be over looked, for someone to see him, and not react, to just continue moving. It was what he always wanted, even in life, for people to not react when they saw him, just as I had. I allowed a tear to slip as I sat there and thought of all my memories of him. I didn't stop the tear, as this was the one place I allowed myself to morn. Everywhere else I was in the spotlight, and nobody knew about Erik. Even if they did find out that I had married a man that I had married that wasn't my ex fiance and he had died, it would turn into a scandal. I wouldn't be in the spotlight for much longer however. I told Clair that I would not be accepting any more jobs. Once I had finish all the movie roles that I had already signed the contract for, my career would end. My Faust run had just ended after four months, and tomorrow I would return back to America and back to my family. It would be bittersweet, I would see my family for the first time in months but I would have to leave Erik behind in France. I may be rich, but not enough to bring a graveyard with me. Another tear fell, I was shocked that I still had any left after Erik's funeral. I had bawled my eyes out and cried enough to make up for  the amount guests that  come to a normal funeral. I sighed and got up, I had promised myself I wouldn't keep my self stuck in morning. Erik would have wanted me to move on, and out of love, I would move on but never forget him. I knew I truly never would lose him, for every time I sang, I could feel him and his love for me.