1.01 | Not So Chance Encounter.

MARCH 15, 2013 | 2:25 pm -
INT. CARLTON BLACK PREPARATORY - CLASSROOM. DAY.

Halo Noel:
Okay little ones, make sure you pack up all your books and stationery before leaving.

In the warm and inviting classroom, Halo Noel, a petite and boyishly handsome teacher with a thick European accent, addresses his group of second-year students. His cream button-down shirt is neatly tucked into his muted grey notched-lapel jacket, complemented by chinos of the same color and polished ankle-high boots.

Under the glowing lights of the classroom, Halo's subtle Arabic features appear as if sculpted, while the sun slowly sets beyond the hills. His curly hair, effortlessly unkempt, forms a beautiful bundle of raven strands piled atop his head like a mop. The contrast between his pale-ivory complexion, steely grey eyes, and freckles sprinkled across his nose and cheeks resembles a drizzle of cinnamon sugar.

As Halo watches his students begin to leave the classroom, some already prepared for the five-minute dismissal notice, he feels a sense of relief. Just like them, he is eager to go home, enjoy a nice dinner, and indulge in some afternoon cartoons.

Looking ahead to the upcoming week, Halo anticipates it to be tedious but manageable, knowing that there are no assignments to grade. The weekend was his time to relax and unwind, but before he can fully enjoy it, he must prepare the curriculum for the following week on the school's associate website.

Carlton Black Preparatory is a school dedicated to exploring diverse teaching methods that enhance both academic and social aspects of education. Halo's influence and determination have earned him a prominent position on the committee, where he lays the groundwork for the success of first and second graders.

Feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over him, Halo runs his slender fingers through his shoulder-length dark curls, letting out a weary sigh as he settles into his chair with a slight grunt. A headache begins to tighten its grip on his forehead, but he quickly shakes off the discomfort and gathers his scattered papers. As he organizes his belongings, a book falls from the stack with a soft rustling sound.

Halo looks up from his desk to find Gael Slater, a nine-year-old boy with blonde hair and a deep love for classic novels, standing before him. Gael's pleated brown khakis reach just above his shoes, paired with a crisp white short-sleeved button-down that covers the waistband of his pants. It's the standard uniform of school, and Gael wears it with pride.

With a smile spreading across his small, freckled face, Gael catches Halo's attention. Halo raises his left eyebrow, leaning forward with both hands clasped on top of the desk, curious to hear what Gael has to say.

Halo Noel:
New book? Gael shakes his head.

Gael Slater:
My dad gave it to me. The boy shrugs moving around the desk.

Halo Noel:
Can I see it? Gael hands Halo the leather-bound book, reading the simple yet intricate title, impressed.

Halo Noel:
Tom Sawyer. He runs his right hand over the worn leather spine.

Halo Noel:
Is your father coming to pick you up? Halo checks his watch, notices the time, and sits up.

- Usually, Gael would be the first to leave, as his father was never tardy. So, seeing the boy hanging back feels odd to the attentive teacher.

Gael Slater:
He told me to stay inside until he finds me. Halo's eyes narrow in speculation, but he sighs in resignation.