Chapter 8

It's been a week since Stefan left Bonnie's and he was glad that Raina decided to keep him company on one of her weeks with Bonnie. Just to thank her and show her that he knows her, Stefan took his daughter out to the new aquarium that had just opened. Raina told him a year ago that she wanted to be a marine biologist and he wasn't sure if that was still her number one plan, but she seemed to be enjoying herself.

He smiled as she grabbed his hand as they walked and as she pointed out the different animals of the sea until they decided to take a seat on one of the benches.

"Dad,"

Stefan looked up and leaned in closer to her smiling some as she took a picture of the both of them with her phone. He ran his hand down her hair and pulled her close.

"Are you having fun?" He kissed her forehead.

"Yeah, thank you, dad. It's really cool here."

Stefan smiled and nodded. "Do you still want to be a marine biologist or has that left your mind?"

She shrugged. "It's still there, but I'm not certain."

"That's completely understandable. I didn't know that I wanted to work in advertising until a late age."

She nodded. "Okay so completely random subject change. Why name me Raina? Mom said it's because of her great grandmother."

"Yes, G-ma Ray, that's what I called her when I was cool, was a very wise and smart woman, but honestly I wanted to give you a name that was special and that meant something and I thought of Raina because I first told your mother that I loved her when it was raining. That's why I also gave you the nickname Rain. You may not want to hear this, but you were made out of nothing but love, Ray, and yes, we weren't planning for a child so soon, but you brought us back together. We were physically apart for some time, but thanks to you, babe, we reunited."

Raina stopped her tears. "How old were you when you told her?"

"Fourteen." Stefan said letting out a breath. "What we had was real and it might be crazy but that's when I knew that I was going to marry her."

She smiled for a little then her face turned serious. "Do you still love her, dad?"

"Of course I love her," he answered immediately, "I never stopped but situations change and that's why I chose to let her go."

"What do you mean?"

Stefan thought. "Love is willing to get hurt. Love gives expecting no return. Putting your partner's needs before your own. Your mother wasn't happy anymore being with me and I could've been selfish and held on to her forcing different tactics on her to be happy again, but I realized that doing that wouldn't be fair. I love your mother deeply and I chose to put her needs before mine so I let her go." Raina nodded in understanding but still thought the whole situation sucked. "Come on, let's get something to eat." Stefan stood up and extended his hand.

Raina gave him a smile then grabbed his hand walking out.

:::

After Bonnie filled her friends in on the whole Stefan deal, she found herself more confused than ever before. She had it figured out before that she was going to be with and stay with Damon but after being forced to speak her true feelings and answer all the personal questions they threw at her, Bonnie didn't know where she stood.

She loves Stefan and no matter what he will always have her heart but she knows that she shouldn't go there again. They divorced for a reason and if they were to get back together there's no telling if that reason will surface again.