June 23-

June 23-

I really love Lorde. There's something about the way that she sings and really feels her music. It's like she knows what it's like to be young and happy and alone, and when I listen to her music I always feel so much calmer then however I felt before, because for a moment I'm reminded that I'm really not alone and someone else knows what it feels like to not be good enough and lose your friends and make all the wrong decisions on purpose. I always thought that her album, Pure Heroine, was actually heroin (without the e) and that she had tilted her album based off the drug. I never questioned it, because to me it made sense. It said something along the lines of "this album is pure addiction", but no. It's actually heroine, as in a female hero. I think she should probably realize that Americans are illiterate.

 Dulce always thought the same thing, but then one night as we were sitting in her car with 'No Better' blasting through the speakers she looked down at the album cover, gasped, and pointed out that there was an e. Then we just looked at each other for a moment and I started yelling and she started laughing and we cranked the stereo even higher, and Ella Yelich-O'Connor's voice flooded deeper into our souls and through the car windows so that anyone standing near by could have easily heard exactly what we were listening to from outside the car. 

"Go all the way, have your fun, have it all, this will take you down. Get through the days, do your thing, do it well- this will take you down." 

I was sitting in the passengers seat drinking a bottle of shutterholm and I couldn't remember why we were parked in the parking lot, or even what parking lot we were in. I had to keep reminding myself that the car wasn't moving, and Dulce sat in the drivers seat watching me and laughing as I pointed out different things that glowed through the darkness. I offered her the bottle but she shook her head and popped open another can of root beer. I laughed again because the sound of the fizz of her soda was somehow funny to me.