Eleven

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

"It was salt in an open wound.
Even my own mom, a grown-girl, knew who Babe Ruth was, then again, Jordan knew of him also.

I was dead meat.
We had all thought that that ball Benny had busted the guts out of meant something amazing was gonna happen.

Now I figured my life was over."

Everyone met back at the treehouse, trying there hardest to figure out how to retrieve the ball.

The blonde girl laid her head on Benny's lap, as he played with her hair; they both were short on ideas.

"Hey, I got it!" Scotty perks up, "Why don't we just go over... and knock on the door and ask Mr. Mertle—"

"Are you out of your mind?" Squints protest, "Mr. Mertle's the meanest old man that ever lived. He's the one who made the Beast eat that kid. It's not an option, Smalls. Forget about it."

Honestly, Scotty's idea seemed like a great one in Jordan's mind. She sure as hell didn't believe Squint's story about everything, but she was scared of the man who did own the Beast.

"L-Let's just look out the window," She suggested.

The whole team scrunched up together at the small square window.

The entire backyard was chaotic with junk - toys, metals, and useless things- but what made it so eerie was the old worn down dog house right by the back porch, where the Beast had lived.

Jordan held tightly to the wooden frame of the window, hearing the growls of their enemy, almost as if it was ready to fight then at any moment.

They all hurry over to there spots, with Benny pulling Jordan toward him and in his arms.

She wasn't too scared - not trembling or having some sort of panic attack - but she was sweating and taking her deep breath to prevent an attack.

"He's daring us," Tommy states.

"We're on his territory now," comments Ham.

"Anybody got any bright ideas?" Benny asked his group of friends.

"After we'd all thought about it real hard, we had absolutely no idea what the hell we were gonna do. So things started primitively."