Four

[ The Girl Who Doesn't Believe ]

❖  • ❖ •  ❖  • ❖

S H O R T Y

    It had been a week or two since Scotty had join Jordan and the Sandlot group. She was proud to see the her friends be good for him, even though the teasing hadn't stopped, Scotty didn't mind at all.

Smalls would easily notice her discomfort with the fence that barricades the baseball field. It would be this recent game that showed Scotty why Jordan wouldn't even come close to the old ratchet fence.

"Hamilton 'The Babe' Porter. 'Long Ball' Porter. Come on, Shorty," Ham speaks, getting ready to swing his bat, before making the classic Babe Ruth pose.

The freckled boy points out over the field, looking down proudly.
This made everyone, even Jordan and Benny, laugh hysterically.
The girl had laughed so hard, she almost stumbled out of the pitcher's spot.

"Yes, I see it," Benny taunted with a smile, joining his friend's enjoyment.

Jordan contained her laughter and threw the ball sharply.
Ham ended up missing it, having Benny, who was the catcher, have the ball right in his glove.

"Woah," He said in awe, acting as if Ham had hit the home run.

"You call that pitching?" Ham exclaimed, "This is baseball, not tennis."

"Give him a tennis racket," DeNunez joked.

"Give me something to hit!"

"All right, hon," Jordan sweet talks, catching the ball that Benny threw to her, "This one's my heater. I dare you to hit it."

As the Watts still hears the boy's on going jokes, she mutters to herself, "You want the heater? I'll give to you."

Jordan threw the ball and knew immediately when the baseball left her hand, it wasn't her best throw. Luckily for Ham, he hits the ball just right, making to travel all the way out and over the fence, and even crashing into the junkyard.

"No!" Jordan quietly pleaded.

"Yeah! That's how you do it," A prideful Ham cheered, starting to run his bases.

The Rodriguez boy threw down the catcher's mask in irritation. "Ham, you idiot! Now we can't play no more."

As the rest of the boys, except Smalls, threw there gloves and hats, calling Porter names, an annoyed Jordan walked over to an equally annoyed Benny.