Chapter Eleven

"Walk me home in the dead of night

I can't be alone with all that's on my mind

So say you'll stay with me tonight

'Cause there is so much wrong going on outside."

~*~*~*~

The Barton Homestead. Missouri. May 2014.

The next morning Bucky checked over the guns and packed the go-bag while you made the bed. This room had been your home for the past week. It seemed strange to leave, but you knew it was the right thing to do.

"How are we looking?" you asked as you smoothed down the quilt. You turned to face him.

"I think we got everything," Bucky said, handing you the laptop bag.

You nodded and followed him out the door.

"I'm gonna miss this place," Bucky said, looking back into the room, his hand rested on the light switch.

You squeezed his hand. "We'll be back," you assured, "one day."

Bucky nodded as he flipped off the lights and closed the door.

Laura, Cooper, and Lila met both of you at the base of the stairs. Lila sniffled, hiding behind her mother. Cooper stood off to the side and looked at the floor.

You hugged Laura, "I don't know how we can ever repay you, Laura."

"Just be safe," she said, pulling back to look at you. "Take care of each other." She looked from you to Bucky.

Bucky nodded, "Yes, ma'am." Laura pulled him into a hug and whispered something in his ear. He nodded and smiled when she pulled away.

You moved to Cooper, bending down to his level. "Hey Coop," you smiled, he kept his eyes down. "You keep practicing those codes okay?" He looked up. "You can email me with any coding questions you have. Your dad has my email address; I will answer them as often as I can." He nodded. You pulled him into a hug. "You take care of your sister for me? Okay?" Tears pricked your eyes.

"I will," he said, returning your hug. You smiled, pulling back to ruffle his hair. He batted you away playfully.

You stood up and turned back to Bucky. He knelt on the floor in front of Lila; she had tears in her eyes.

"I hope you don't mind, I kept some of the hair ties you gave me," he said, trying to catch her eye. She sniffled and nodded vigorously.

"Do you have to go?" she asked pitifully.

Bucky smiled sadly and looked to you for a moment then back to Lila. "Me and Y/N have some things we gotta do." Lila hung her head. "But hey," he said, "I gotta come back and see my best girl so I'll make sure we aren't gone too long." Lila looked up smiling before throwing her arms around Bucky's neck. A look of surprise crossed his face before he returned her hug. You felt a few tears slip down your cheeks.

"Promise?" she asked, her face buried in his shoulder.

He pulled away to look at her. "No tricks," he said, winking at you.