Year 1-2 | Sorting

❝︎I mean.. It's Dumbledore.
He'll keep us all safe.❞︎

02 : Sorting

We walked into the great hall in awe. It was truly beautiful. The ceiling looked like the night sky with floating candles. Hermione was telling me something about the charm they used to make the ceiling look like that but I was too busy looking at my surroundings. There were four rows of tables and in the front, there he was, Dumbledore. I walked passed catching some eyes as they whispered noticing me. We were all gathered up in the front hurdled up with a chair at the very front with a brown hat.

"Before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," The lady said. I looked over at Dumbledore as he stood up. I was starstruck. The man I looked up to since I was a child was standing in front of me.

"I have a few starts of term notices I wish to announce. First years please note, that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you, that the third-floor corridor on the right hand side if out of boundaries to everyone who doesn't wish to die the most painful way possible. Thank you," He says sitting back down.

'Who doesn't wish to die the most painful way,' that part was bugging me. What could be kept in this school that was so threatening? I didn't think much of it though, I mean.. It's Dumbledore. He'll keep us all safe.

"When I call your name, you will come forward and place the sorting hat on your head. And you'll be sorted into your houses." The lady said. What house would I be in? I hope not Slytherin, not that they're bad or anything... I just don't want to be near Malfoy whatsoever considering he'll be in Slytherin. Gut feelings. My father was a Hufflepuff but they're not really my type. So I guess that leaves me with Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. My guess though has to be Ravenclaw.

"Hermione Granger."

I looked over at the girl as she made her way up whispering something to herself for reassurance.

"mental that one, I'm telling you" I heard Ron whisper.

The talking hat thought for a moment and shouted, "GRYFFINDOR". We all clapped as she made he way to the Gryffindor table.

A few more names were called, some that I knew, some I didn't. The Malfoy boy ended up in Slytherin, no surprise at all. I knew before he even put the sorting hat on his head, seems like the hat did too as it shouted Slytherin before it was even properly on.

"Ronald Weasley."

Definitely a Gryffindor. I mean, look at every other Weasley.

"GRYFFINDOR!" wow shocker.

"Evelyn Clermont"

I walked up hearing a few whispers. I could hear the specific word clearly though, Beauxbatons. I sighed as I made my way up and sat down. The sorting hat started thinking out loud as it was placed on my head.

"A Clermont at Hogwarts! Mmm surprising. Let's see here.. The brains of a Ravenclaw, ambitions of a Slytherin.. ah but the perfect match for you is.. GRYFFINDOR!" The hat yelled out. Instead of cheerfully jumping and skipping to their table like everyone else, I simply smiled and walked towards the table sitting next to Hermione. I was taught to never be obnoxious or overly excited.

"I'm so glad we're in the same house! We're gonna be best friends," Hermione said smiling.

"Me too," I smiled.

"Harry Potter," Again, the great hall filled with whispers as the chosen boy made his way up to the front and out the sorting hat on. The sorting hat was thinking hard and long while Harry was whispering something to him.

"Not Slytherin? Are you sure?" The hat says. This goes on for a few more seconds, the hat talking about how good he would be in Slytherin. The chosen boy in Slytherin sounds funny.

"Alright then.. GRYFFINDOR!!" Many cheered and clapped as Harry made his way and sat next to Ron.

"Let the feast begin!" Dumbledore said as our plates magically filled with food. I looked around to see others, especially Ron busy stuffing their food. I wonder how they do that, nowadays when I try to stuff food I get bad flashbacks and gag. I started eating the food cutting it with a knife first then eating it with a fork. I got a few confused looks from other students but I had to keep my mother's words. I look over at Hermione doing the same, I think I found myself a good friend.

As we were eating a head popped up from the middle of the table. "Hello everyone!" he says. Many students let out a gasp but I simply just froze and flinched. Although secretly, I think something just died inside me. He then flies out showing himself, it was Sir Nicholas, my dad told me about him. A few other ghosts started to show up flying everywhere.

"Wait a minute, I know you! You're nearly headless nick!" Ron shouted looking back at the ghost.

"Nearly Headless, How can you be NEARLY headless?" Hermione said furrowing her eyebrows. She's a great friend but I can tell she's a know it all.

"Like this," he replied pulling his head off of his neck however it doesn't all fall out. Now I see what he means by nearly. A lot of students groan in disgust and I just simply go back to eating with wide eyes. I couldn't help but notice a set of green eyes fixated on me half the time but I didn't say anything about it.

QUICK HARRY'S POV

I looked over at Evelyn who was so calm and so proper all the time. She was graceful, elegant, and really pretty. I wonder how she manages to stay in character all the time though.

"She's mental too," Ron says noticing I was looking at Evelyn.

"Sorry?"

"Evelyn Clermont, heard their family teaches their kids proper manner at the age of 6. They're taught to be extremely elegant and lady-like" Fred says looking at Evelyn now with George.

"Lady-like, what even is lady-like," I said furrowing my eyebrows looking at Ron who just shrugs.

"She scares me, she's like an Ice queen. Bet she has no emotions at all. I mean look at her she even sits with her back straight!" Ron says stuffing another sandwich in his mouth.

"Really pretty though," I say not being able to take my eyes off her.

"Sorry?" Ron says while chewing

"Nothing."

꧁♡꧂

Thank you for reading my story! Commenting / Voting greatly helps the growth of this story :)