Chapter 51: Cry of Decay

This happened to me last night, literally scared the shit out of me. Lol. The spider was just crawling across my wall and I turned to roll over and get a better view but he wasn't there anymore. I don't feel safe in my room anymore.

Holland

Norah screams.

I turn, fast enough to see Dagen lunging and catching her. He awkwardly lays her on the ground and stares at her, unsure how to proceed. A gust of wind attempts to cushion Norah's movements but she's thrashing hard enough to knock her head on the tree roots.

I drop beside her, shouting at her. But she screams and screams and screams, the sound too similar to Clarika's the night she was torn apart.

The others gather around, Easton dropping across from me. He tries to reach for her, trying to stop her from slicing her hands on the edges of her armor. I wave him off in a quick, sharp movement while Squirm slips beside him. He paces, head perking and lowering, antlers flaring up and down, up and down as he chirps and whistles.

She had been fine seconds before, shy to touch the tree with so many people watching. It's the tree, I think, and don't touch her. Holding her down could hurt her or me or ruin whatever connection is happening between her and the tree. But no doing anything could also hurt her.

"Norah, talk to me kid, what's going on?" I know she won't answer but it's better than saying nothing.

Darkness rushes up her neck, pouring into her skin and filling every crevice of Norah's face until nothing but black remains. Then it breaks, like waves crashing into jagged rocks and the tendrils curl against her skin, cresting up her temples and down her neck with the force of a howling storm.

Norah's screams mix with sobs, she claws at her skin over the sharp metal of her armor. Easton grabs her oozing hands and holds tightly. Squirm looks at me and stomps his feet.

"Adam!" The boy scrambles over, wide-eyed and panting. He doesn't touch her. "What is this?" I demand, my mind and heart spinning. "Is this a mage thing?"

Frantically, Adam's eyes dart over her. Easton stares at him, willing the boy to answer. "I-I-I don't know," he stammers. He glances at the tree, then back at her. "She was just standing there. I think it's the tree. I don't think it likes being touched."

Dragon Bait stalks over, barely giving Norah a second's glance. "Can we stuff a sock in her mouth, they're being drawn by her." He nods to the city and its shadow-filled streets. "They've started to circle us."

Fire fills my chest, swirling with worry and a thundering heart. I clench my jaw to keep from grabbing the boy and squint behind me. Darker shadows dart across the streets, quick and silent as mice.

Or as silent as the Thrawlers Norah saw.

"We have to leave," Adam says, gaping at Norah and the black tendrils.

Easton tears his scowl away from Dagen, turning it to Adam. "They'll hear us wherever we go," he growls.

"So," Dagen says slowly, impatiently. "Stuff a sock in her mouth."

"Go keep an eye on the shadows," Easton snaps and I notice him stroking Norah's hand with his thumb.

Dagen rolls his eyes as he leaves. "Whatever. But if you all die and haunt me, I'll never let you live it down."

Adam frowns, saying over Norah's screaming. "Wouldn't it be 'ghost it down?"

"I swear to the gods, if you all don't focus I'm going to hurt people," I growl. Seasoned warriors would have never bickered like this. They would be focusing on the threats within the city and try to puzzle together what's happening to Norah. It takes all my willpower not to say anything worse. "We stay here. We have this spot cleared. No one moves Norah, understood?"