Chapter 29: Taunts of Joy

Earth should be closed more often, cause I'm thriving on this whole isolation thing.

Here's an early one for ya because Earth is closed and all I've been doing is writing and plotting. Leave a comment if you have any sneaky theories about what's to happen next or something you just really like. I'm up to talk about anything right now, especially books.

Long after everyone had fallen asleep in their sleeping bags or tiny cot, I drifted in and out of sleep. An endless pit of black that provided no dreams or nightmares but was just simply there. I eased out of those dreamless slumbers, my eyes growing heavier and heavier as the night wore on.

Clarika sleeps on the tiny cot with me, both of us in our sleeping bags because we don't trust the cleanliness of the mattress. I feel each toss and turn and lay there, waiting for her to fall still. But I'm not annoyed with her constant shifting.

It could be worse. She could be kicking my back and shoving me off the bed.

Her hand falls on my waist and I reach beneath my sleeping bag to push it off. It slides down my back, far heavier and larger than it should be. I don't think much of it. Not until it starts to crawl up my back like a giant spider with heavy limbs.

My heart leaps, every nerve in me suddenly alive and buzzing. I start to sit up, peering through the darkness, a flat figure moves it's way up my side. I scramble, screaming when I hit the floor and feel a thump on my thighs.

It falling on me.

My heart jumps again.

I scamper out of my sleeping bag like a wet cat until my back hits something hard. Bone.

The lights flip on, an orangy-yellow hue that I force myself to see through. Everyone's already standing and in a battle stance when they're on, a sword or ice in hand. Holland's eyes are on me in an instant and his gaze follows to the thing standing on my sleeping bag, staring at everyone else.

My breath rushes inward, as fast as my realization. I frown, confusion written across my features. I don't entirely know why I say it, but I breathe, "Squirm?"

The thing blinks at me, pulling himself a little higher as if the name gives him pride. He flares his antlers and starts toward me but I stiffen, pressing harder into Easton's shin. It stops, his head turning to him with solid black eyes, then back at me.

"You've named it now?" Holland grimaces, his features twisted with irritation. He props his sword against the wooden wall. "You don't even know what that thing is."

Easton's foot strains as he subtly leans back to rest his sword against the wall. I pretend to not realize that I'm sitting on his foot or the fact that neither of us wants to move or have me move away. I tell myself that it's to throw Easton in the creature's directory in case it lunges for me.

Unlike the rest of us who look ready to murder the next thing we see, Adam gushes, smiling from ear to ear. "It's a Viven!" he says. "A rare species of otter and salamander that lives in extremely cold climates. They like spending most of their time underwater or on snow, but some species are also known for living on land. They're super friendly."

We stare at Adam in confused silence. He smiles proudly, lifting his chin and says matter-of-factly, "I know things."

Easton's face tightens with annoyance, lips pressing together. "We've got our own encyclopedia," he mutters. I'm almost surprised by the attitude, Easton is usually up before me but maybe his annoyance comes from Adam being mage.

Alarm washes off Clarika's face, turning to cold distaste. Her frost disappears off her bare arms and she folds them over her chest. "Isn't that the thing from the party?" She doesn't stop staring at me until I realize why.