Chapter Ten: Of Cheese and Selkies

I awoke to a loud crash from the speakers

I awoke to a loud crash from the speakers. My eyes flew open and I tensed, feeling another body next to mine. My head was tilted back, leaning against a broad shoulder. As I blinked, trying to clear the sleepy fog of forgetfulness from my brain and running my fingers through my slightly tangled, short, dark hair, a soft snore emitted from the body next to mine.

I scrunched my eyebrows and squinted, confused, at the body and trailed my eyes up. First, they saw the heather gray tee layered with red flannel. Next, a prominent adam's apple from a backwards curved neck. Then, a strong, square jaw, slack open in sleep. Smile lines. A prominent, pointed nose. Short, taupe, fluttering eyelashes. Dirty blonde hair, blond at the crown, sandy at the nape, barely holding onto the loose ponytail at the back of the neck.

Another snore dragged me from my reverie. Still groggy, I clumsily slid from the couch, in the process jostling Andrei.

A deeper snore, almost a snort, and he lifted his probably-aching neck from the back of the couch, eyes still closed, but thicker, taupe eyebrows pressed together. His head moved back and forth, likely listening for something.

"Morn--" I cleared my throat, it had squeaked raspishly, "Mornin', Andrei. Looks like we both fell asleep during the movie."

Eyes barely opened now, Andrei's confused pout eeked into an adorable upturn of the corners of his mouth.

"Good morning, Sam. I am happy to see you."

Was I blushing? I felt like I was blushing.

I turned on my heel and maneuvered my way past the couch, towards the kitchen.

"What would you like to eat? I've got cereal, eggs 'n toast, frozen waffles, sausage biscuit thingies; what sounds good?"

I looked up from the open fridge at the guy, who was standing in the doorway. He rubbed his eye with the heel of his palm and yawned. A loud, lasting rumble echoed from his direction and we both froze.

A snicker from me, and we both burst out laughing.

"I guess it might be all of the above for you, huh?"

He nodded sheepishly and moved closer into the kitchen.

"Could you get Frankie's food and water, please?" I added, as I placed bread and strudel in the toaster.

Andrei nodded, and opened the under-sink cupboard. He pulled out the box and shook it a little.

"Sam? There is no food."

I shook my head and made a tsk sound against the back of my teeth.

"Knew I was forgetting something. I'll have to go to the store after breakfast." I snatched the wheat-based foodstuffs from the toaster and slathered butter on top. The eggs were fried and settled over their new home, and I set the plates down gently on the kitchen table.