"There is a prophecy known amongst witches about an evil sorcerer who's supposed to 'rise and cause pain'. This sorcerer is supposedly so strong that Nature created special kinds of witches--elementals--to defeat him. There are only four elemental witches in the world at a time -- if one passes on, another is immediately born. They are the elemental witches of fire, water, wind and earth -- elements witches draw on to perform magic. These elemental witches are more powerful than all other witches and excel at magic of their elements. . . . And they have glowing eyes."

Lainey gaped at her best friend.

"So . . . you didn't just find out that you're a witch, but a special kind of witch destined to . . . save the world?"

Fawn smiled and waved at Lainey.

"Hi, I'm Fawn Anette Wright. Nice to meet you."

"Wow. That's . . . I mean . . . holy hell, right?"

The girls laughed.

After a few moments, Lainey quietly asked "I guess that means you have to kill Benjamin, too, huh?"

Fawn's smile quickly faded.

"I don't want to kill anyone, Lainey."

"But you have to . . . right?"

Fawn shrugged. Then nodded.

"At least Nature says so."

"Then to hell with Nature!" Lainey exclaimed. "There has to be another way."

Fawn shook her head.

"There's no cure for undeath. Witches have been searching for a cure since it was learned that the undead's curse is contagious."

"So . . . this Nature . . . thing just wants you all to travel around the world and kill every dead walker you come across until you, what, kill them all? Is that even realistic?"

"There are witch covens all over the world doing exactly that."

"That doesn't even sound the least bit practical! No way can this Nature thing be serious about this."

Fawn sighed.

"What do you want me to say, Lainey?"

"That . . . that there's another way. One that doesn't involve lives being taken away."

Fawn shook her head.

"I wish I could, Lainey. I really do. But, as of right now, there isn't. I'm sorry."

The room grew silent.

* * *
He was awakened by a light kiss on his cheek. He opened his eyes to stare into those of the boy he knew was his soulmate.

"Good morning," Oscar whispered into his ear.

Colt smiled and said "How long have you been watching me?"

Oscar shifted into a more comfortable position on the bed and said "Would you believe me if I said all night?"

"Hell no," Colt responded, laughing. "You can barely stay up past midnight."

"Okay maybe not all night. But definitely most of the night. I was really worried about you last night."

Colt sighed.

"I said I'm sorry. Something came up."

"Like what?"

Colt looked away from Oscar.

"It's nothing. Just another fight with my dad."

Oscar sighed.

"You're lying."

"I am not."

"Then look at me."

Colt did so.

"Where were you last night?"

"I . . . can't say."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't. Just drop it, okay?"

Colt turned his back toward Oscar. Oscar wrapped his arm around him.

"You remember the first time I kissed you?" he whispered in his ear.

Colt nodded.

"Do you remember what you said to me after?"

Colt nodded again.

"You said you would stop being afraid. That you'd stop living your life for people that don't matter. Because life is too short. You remember that?"

Colt nodded a third time.

"Then you told me that I was the most important person in your life. Not only because I was your one true love. But because I taught you how to live the life you want to live. I taught you how to be happy. You told me that we'd be together forever. That we'd always love each other. That we'd tell each other everything."

"Oscar, please," Colt whimpered.

"Were you lying to me, Colt?"

"No, I . . ."

"Then tell me. What happened to you last night?"

Colt turned to face Oscar.

He sighed.

* * *
The silence between Lainey and Fawn was bothering her. Awkward silences between the two of them used to be nonexistent. Now it seemed it intrude on all of their time together lately.

"I hate this," Lainey said.

Fawn looked at Lainey.

"I know. Me, too."

Lainey shrugged.

"So I guess that's it, huh?"

"What's that?" Fawn asked.

"All dead walkers are fated to die because Nature says so."

"Lainey . . ."

"I know this isn't your fault, Fawn. It's just . . ."

". . .You have another secret."

Lainey's eyes widened.

"What are you talking about?"

Fawn smiled.

"It's okay, Lainey. You can tell me when you're ready."

Lainey sighed and stared up at her ceiling. She shut her eyes. Unlike merely knowing how she felt, hearing herself say it out loud was confirming it. It'll be on record. Whatever record that was. But she knew how she felt. Saying it out loud changes virtually nothing.

Except she'll hear herself say it. Which makes all the difference.

"You know, don't you?" Lainey whispered. She looked at Fawn, whose eyes were filling with tears.

With a smile on her face, Fawn solemnly nodded.

"It's true. I love him, Fawn. I love Benjamin Crawford."

---

To be continued in Chapter 69...