Wattpad Original
There are 81 more free parts

doctor

noun ~ a person who is qualified to help those who are ill

NOVA

The creature was after me again.

Its blue skin dripped greenish blood. Somehow it had survived Sean's attack, minus an arm and some flesh from its torso as it staggered towards me. Spit flew everywhere as it snapped incoherent words.

I shrieked and tried to run, but before I could, it knocked me over again. I crawled to the best of my abilities, but my shoulder prevented me, bent at a weird angle.

A sudden warmth crept upon me, and before I knew it, my clothes were burning. I screamed, trying to pry the burning fabric from my body, but it was melting me. It lapped up my skin, climbing the long sleeves of my top. The ghoul laughed, pointing a clawed finger and clapping its hands.

"Help me!" I screamed, the flames creeping up to my shoulders.

But no one was there. The ghoul had vanished. I looked around in panic, spotting a stream in the distance. Moving through the pain, I pushed myself into it, being swept off of my feet. The flames died out easily, but my nightclothes stuck to me like glue. My skin was black and bleeding, and blisters of puss formed instantly.

I cried in that water. Frightful of what to do next since the attack. I was alone. And in pain. A piece of large tree bark floated by, and I clung to it in desperation. The cooling of the water helped my wounds, and the gentle rocking support of the river kept my nerves at bay. Eventually, I passed out, floating down the stream as tears poured down my face.

***

I woke the next morning in bed.

"It was just a dream." I mumbled, scratching at my arms.

It felt so real. So terrifying. I could still feel the burns on my arms as the fire consumed my skin.

I pushed it as far away in my mind as I could and looked around my room. Someone removed my IV, but left my arm in the sling. Eyeing the clock, I found it was ten in the morning, so I slithered out of my bed and into the shower. Stripping off my clothes and the sling, I had to be careful of my arm movements, but I managed. It had improved a little through the night, weirdly.

The warmth of the shower's embrace was comforting after spending so much time asleep. I felt the grogginess wash away as my body slowly came to life with each passing moment.

Whilst I had showered, someone had entered my room and placed a tray of food on my bed. Drying off, I wore a large black jumper before putting my sling back on and some leggings. I hummed and sat down, eying up the plate that Lucie had brought. I hardly had an appetite in the mornings, but I hadn't eaten in two days and the bacon sandwich looked really good.

My attempt at eating took time, not wanting to rush myself in fear of nausea. When I finished, I lounged around the window seat with a cup of tea. A knock sounded on my door and I eyed it suspiciously.

"Nova?" It was Lucie.

"Hey," I called. "Come in."

She cracked the door, smiling timidly. "Doctor Green wants to see you."

An icy bolt of dread shot down my spine and I froze in my seat. I could feel my heart racing as my vision blurred, my hands shaking.

I shook my head vigorously. "N-n-no!"

"It is to check you over." She frowned.

I shook my head again, my hand's grasping my mug. "I c-can't."