Part 25

Anjali waves a hand in front of Arnav's eyes and says "chalo" (lets go).

Arnav had spent the entire day with his Di buying dresses, jewelry and every other thing that his Di had asked him to choose for his Khushi. He had patiently waited for the salesman to show all the dresses that Anjali would ask him to show.

Anjali had teased Arnav about how Khushi had tamed his anger and taught him to be patient. He had left his Di's side only for some half an hour and had returned with a packet. When Anjali had asked him what was inside it he had brushed it aside saying that it was only for Khushi to see.

Later at night he had opened the packet and placed a small card in it and had wrapped the packet back. He had asked his Di to give it to Khushi. He too had, had a sleepless night. The thought of having her by his side from tomorrow onwards was too intoxicating for him to sleep. He too kept tossing and turning in his bed till the day's events took over him. He woke up and looked around his room.

Yesterday was the last night he had slept alone in this room. From today he would have his Khushi to share his room, his home, his dreams, his life and everything that was his. He was wondering how she would feel on entering this room today. It was not as if she had not come here before but at that time it was his room but from today it would be theirs.

A smile appeared on his face. He wanted to look at her face when she would enter their room. With this thought on his mind he starts getting ready for the day. His Di had asked him to accompany her to the Gupta's house as she had to give them their dresses. But she had also warned him that he was not supposed to go inside and had to wait in the car only. He had grudging agreed. He so desperately wanted to see his Khushi that even the Gods had to take pity on him and send his Khushi out to the courtyard for him to see her.

Khushi hadn't expected him and had been surprised on seeing him there. She too could not tear her eyes off him, and had blushed when Anjali had waved her hand. Khushi went inside.

Buaji and Payal were looking at the wedding dresses that Anjali had bought. Buaji was about to open the packet that Arnav had sent for her, but she rushed in and almost snatched it from her.

Buaji "hai re nandkishore, what was that for".

Khushi had said that there was nothing special in it and had rushed to her room to open it. She wanted to see what he had sent for her. She opened the packet with trembling hands. She was shocked to see the red and golden lehnga that she had worn when she had gone with Lavanya to buy her engagement dress.

Arnav had taunted and humiliated her with his horrid words. She had spent that entire day crying, and had been shattered at his words. She had always forgiven him for whatever he had said or done but this was one time when she could not bring herself to forgive him. Today looking at the lehnga all the memories came flooding back. She placed her trembling hands on the soft and silky dress. She felt something underneath the fold. She lifted the fold and found a card. It was a Sorry card. She slowly picked it up. A small boy was sitting with his head bent down on his knees. She opens the card "Forgive Me.................Pleeeeease." Tears well up in her eyes. She knew that it must have been very difficult for him to write the Please. Forgive Me was printed on the card but Pleeeeeease was hand written.

It seemed as if it was not just for this but for all that he had said to her that he was asking forgiveness for. Her heart went out to him. How could she not forgive him when he had asked for forgiveness like this?

She lifted up the lehnga and hugged it tightly to her chest. All her anger got drained away in the tears that rolled down her cheeks. She puts the lehnga back in the packet and the card safely in her cupboard.

Payal and amma enter the room and are excited on seeing the lehnga.

Payal "Arnavji has extremely good taste. Khushi ....but you will be wearing the wedding lehnga that Anjaliji has brought" questioningly.

Khushi thinks for some time. "No jiji I will wear this one for your ceremonies and afterwards I'll change into the one that Anjaliji has bought."

Amma "but bitiya she has bought it specially for you."

Khushi "I know amma. I will wear it later and don't worry she won't mind it."

Amma "ok then both of you start getting ready now. We have to leave at 6.00." She leaves and both the girls start getting ready for their D day.