Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I can feel myself flying upwards. I can smell the sweet scent of rosemary along with roses. I open my eyes to find myself standing in the middle of a familiar studying.  What am I doing here? The door suddenly opens. My eyes widen as Ryder and Greg come in. Ryder passes right through me and sits in his seat. My eyes widen with unfilled tears. He can’t see me.

“You’re making a mistake.” Greg tells him. His blonde hair up in a low ponytail that reaches his middle. The Verlaine men are always known to grow their hair long, except Ryder. He always preferred his short.

“Brother, I suggest you drop it.” Ryder threatens my brother-in-law.

“No, I will not. You will kill us all if you claim her. The Widows Coven is a sacred sanitary and are interfering with their whisperer. Do you understand the damage you will cause our territories?”

I turn my body facing Ryder. Why are they talking about me? I notice the way his eyes go cold and his fist tightens on his desk. I’m the only one who knew how little control he has. As an elder wolf, and one of the leaders of the werewolf community, it’s hard for him not to snap on a regular basis.

“She is my mate. So I do not care if that Coven does. I will be prepared for anything.”

“You are insane with love, brother.” Greg tries to talk some sense into Ryder. “Mate or not. We need to think about our species. ”

“I suggest you leave.” Ryder warns in an authorize tone.

“You will cause a massive killing!”

I can see the way Ryder is fighting to control his rage. I quickly run up to Greg. “Greg you need to leave. He’s going to snap! Listen to me!” I beg my brother-in-law.

“LEAVE NOW!” Ryder roars.

“Go!” I yell at Greg as well.

Without much more arguing Greg finally decides to leave. I walk towards Ryder. His sweat covered face is filled with pain. He’s fighting the wolf inside him. His piercing bright blue eyes slowly turn red. He holds the edges of his desk for support. He can’t be turning into a wolf. He’s an elder. Turning into a wolf could be deadly to him.

“RYDER!” I scream as he stumbles to the floor. He reaches for his coat as I stay frozen in place. This can’t be possible. I shake my head. It can’t be. The hairs on his arm grow wild. His eyes are fighting the red that’s taking over him. He pulls out a small paper from his coat. He raises it to his face. Suddenly everything goes back to normal. The extra hairs disappear, his eyes are the same piercing blue that I fell in love with, and his sweating has stopped. I kneel down before him.  My hands pass through him. It’s too much for me to take. I’m dead and he needs me. He’s losing control.

Ryder kisses the small paper. I frown in confusion and walk around him to see better. My hands start shaking, but not with fear, with love. It’s not paper. It’s a photo of me. A picture that had been taken the first day I met him at the Winter’s Immortal Ball. He was on Council for Wolves and I was on council for Witches. It was fate. It was love. It was our mating bond that brought us together, but nothing is set in stone. Someone took everything away from us. Someone we both trusted with everything. That person killed me to get to him and now no one will know the truth. No one can know. It’s for the safety of our people.  The people we were to protect above all.

I back away from Ryder the sight of seeing him and not being able to touch it too much for me to handle. I hear a ticking of a grandfather clock. I turn around and gasp. The time is 12am. But the small calendar beside him tells me the date. My eyes find Ryder once again. It’s only a week after we met. That means I’m traveling into the past as a ghost.  The first step of me truly dying.