Rescue

Dennis and Mama Agnes exchanged a glance with each other. In about two minutes, Nneka was about to come back to them. Dennis eyed Doris before looking back to Nneka. Mama Agnes tried to steady her breathing.

They both hoped Nneka was safe.

In her trance with Rukkaiyah, Nneka watched herself slashed at countless figures. Rukkaiyah held a dark metal staff in her hands, shooting beams of red light at her. Rukkaiyah's real form was a demon priestess and Dorcas as her host. They sat in a red and purple void that occasionally pulsed with black spots.

"Until you beat me, I will let you out of this place!" Nneka ran to Rukkaiyah. The creatures tore at her limbs and clothes. Drops of blood floated in the air in slow motion as she stretched her hand towards her. As soon as she touched her, a bright red light clouded the orb Rukkaiyah controlled.

Rukkaiyah patted Nneka's head as she pointed to the orb between them. "That's what your mother wanted to happen between us. If you wanted to go against me in this trance, you would have an untimely death. See, can you hear what they are saying outside?" Nneka strained her ears to hear Mama Agnes and Dennis. "I heard them." Rukaiyyah lifted her black veil and smiled at Nneka. Her wrinkly face looked strange compared to her young, curvy body. "Do you know that half of what I told Doris were lies?" Nneka felt her smirk under her veil. "I didn't know. Why did you lie?"

 Rukkaiyyah chuckled. "You're too interesting to die right now. Your mother also hurt one of my old acquaintances, so I look forward to you helping me settle that debt. Doris is alo a useless host, letting her daughter be kidnapped." Nneka smiled at her and nodded. Doris was a hopeless fool. Everyone around her tricked her into thinking she had power, but they simply obeyed Nana's orders. She was about to ask Rukkaiyah about her mother, but Rukkaiyah insisted on finding out the truth herself. "You're too smart to ask me for the answers. We both know you're better off finding your own answers."

Nneka held her hands in hers, watching Rukkaiyah's fingernails transform from claws to manicured nails. Don't tell anyone about what we've discussed until Dennis takes you away. Don't forget to tell your grandmother about his foster mother's origins." Nneka was about to speak, but Rukkaiyah put her finger to her lips. "Don't tell anyone what I look like, alright? You should also get ready for your rescue." Nneka nodded and put Rukkaiyah's hands in hers. "I'll miss you, aunty. You're not like the other women I've met. Take care." As soon as she finished speaking, Rukaiyyah turned back into a snake. Nneka's vision turned black as Rukkaiyah waved at her with her tail. "I'll miss you too, little one. Don't let your spunk die!"

 Nneka found herself back in the room. She rubbed her eyes and touched Mama Agnes to make sure she was real.Mama Agnes stopped herself from leaping on Nneka. Dennis's eyebrows relaxed as soon as he saw she was safe. Doris, Azeez, and Humble stared at her in shock as Rukkaiyah slid back on Doris's head. She was the first and probably only human to come out normal from Rukkaiyah's session. Everyone else either soon died from exhaustion or passed away during the trance. Rukkaiyah's conversations took a lot of mental power. Rukkaiyah was a sadistic entity, and she loved to secretly steal her victim's life forces. Doris felt Rukkaiyah hissing in annoyance as Humble nodded slyly at Azeez.

 Before she could react, three men and one woman burst into the room. "Jesus Christ!" Mama Agnes dodged Azeez's powder in time to look at the new people in the room. "Be careful!" Nneka reminded Mama Agnes. They all dressed in black robes with a white cloth wrapped around their waists. "Babe! Stay close to me!" Dennis seized Nneka's arm and pulled her before she crashed into one of the men. The masked woman spoke softly to Mama Agnes. "Don't worry, we are from Dennis. Stay here until we tell you to go." The woman faced Mama Agnes. "Don't stop fighting, or they will kill us." One of the men addressed all of them. 

Their faces were covered with black handkerchiefs, while they wore red bangles on their wrists. One of the men threw a dagger at Azeez's heart. Azeez dodged it, but the blade slashed his chest. Seeing his partner bleeding, Humble reached into his pocket and blew red powder at their faces. Dennis and Nneka clapped twice and blew at the powder. Mama Agnes smashed a plate of the floor. Picking up the shards, she flung it at Humble and Azeez. She nodded at her partners, who were blowing colored powders at Azeez, Humble, and Doris. For the first part of the battle, they would use juju to overpower the other side. Mama Agnes hurried, flailing her arms while trying to pull Nneka back.

Dennis pulled out his dried lemongrass, and the masked people did the same. Faika and the other zombies stopped in their tracks as soon as they raised the grass above their heads. They mixed Jagan double in their lemongrass, creating a toxic mixture for the zombies. The woman darted across the room, spreading her grass along the entrance and windows. The barrier scorched the zombies and killed them. As the zombies wailed, Azeez and Humble began to sweat. These people destroyed their weapons! Without them, their power started weakening.

With their expertise, the masked men would have beat them since. Glancing at Doris, Humble drew out a hidden dagger from his sock. He moved towards one of the men and started stabbing at his head. The man dodged each strike swiftly. "Mama Agnes tried to help by blowing more powders at him, but Humble dodged them. Suddenly, Azzez, Humble, and Doris stopped for a moment. Their shocked faces confused Dennis and Mama Agnes. "Doris! Humble! We need to leave this place! We can't let them enter our secret room!"

Azeez pulled out a dagger from under his kaftan and slashed at the masked men like Humble. Doris increased the number of powders she blew at them. The masked men and Nneka and the crew were forced back. They slowly shuffled to the entrance, where zombies littered the floor like gravel. Mama Agnes hugged Nneka tightly the entire time. "Nna, stay close to me." The woman faced Dennis. "They are here. Tell your friends to come with us now!" Dennis rushed to Mama Agnes and Nneka and took their hands. Five more people barged inside the room as they just managed to move away from the entrance.

Humble and Azeez watched in horror as two groups of masked people burst into the room. Doris, who was trying to nullify Mama Agnes's juju poisons, stood in shock as a sharpened stick stabbed through her heart. Doris realized that Nana betrayed them, but the poison from the wound kept her from speaking. A tear rolled down her face as she realized that she caused her daughter's death. She collapsed on the floor, spitting out blood as she slowly faded out of consciousness. Azeez tried to dodge Rukkiayah's fangs but failed as another stick pierced through his arm. 

Three of the new men escorted the others out as the other two repeatedly struck them with short machetes. "Who sent you?" Azeez cried out as a man cut off his arm. "She doesn't need witnesses or a disgusting old man like you." "Yeah, both of you are not her type." The other man sneered as he beheaded Doris. Humble and Azeez stared in horror as they realized Nana doublecrossed them. She wouldn't leave any witnesses behind! Humble tried to spit on one of the men, but he slashed his tongue with his blade. Humble's last moments were of him screaming like a slaughtered pig. Azeez's jaw was sliced off, and he was stabbed three times in the chest.

They were wise enough to leave Rukkaiyah alone. Rukkaiyah yanked the stick out of Doris's chest and ripped her heart out. She happily munched it as Humble's and Azeez's corpses bled on the floor. She nodded her head at the men, who stealthily crept out of the room. Rukkaiyah planned to enjoy her feast tonight. In the compound, the masked woman and two men led the crew to a black minivan.