Twins

Baba Jide paused for a dramatic effect. In the juju world, your social network defined your social ranking. If you knew less than seventy people, you were terrible. Your skill attracted people to connect with you. He knew over three thousand people in his juju community, Landlady knew over four thousand people, and Efezino knew about seven thousand, five hundred people. Knowing more than a thousand people was already a big deal.

"The woman was my friend's wife's aunty's brother's friend. He sold a lot of rare parts like human flesh and animal genitals. He told me about Landlady and Iya Dorcas purchased, and how they would use it to abort a child. Iya Dorcas was heavily pregnant at the time. It's just that he told me that Landlady selected ingredients to poison a pregnant woman as well."

Landlady glanced at Baba Jide and raised her eyebrow. So Baba Jide was planning to drag her into the mud? He was playing with fire. He must have forgotten that he was sitting next to, and he was talking with the two best juju practitioners in the southern & western parts of Nigeria. The money and women she had been giving him over the years must have been going to his head. She wasn't concerned about Efezino; she had plans for her. Baba Jide would not escape this betrayal. She was also very disappointed in him. He usually behaved smarter than this.

Clouded by greed, Baba Jide forgot to check himself. He forgot he was in a very tricky situation. His mind was so focused on getting rid of Efezino and Landlady immediately that he didn't notice they already caught on his plan. This may have been the last time he actually saw them. He also forgot that Landlady also had another helper waiting and more than ready to take his position in her workforce.

He may not get his job after this.

The demon watched Baba Jide use a smooth tongue to try and deceive him. It decided to let him live to see what he ould say later. It already knew both Landlady and Efezino were telling the truth. In this case, he could agree with some mortals that women were better than men.

Landlady glanced at the demon for approval to continue talking. It let out a small grunt, and some grey smoke puffed out of its nostrils. She cleared her throat and started talking. Efezino's hands trembled as she anticipated what Landlady would say next. She was anxious because she did wrong to Iya Dorcas in the past.

"I sold the child for what would have been seventy thousand naira today. Newborn babies were very profitable, but Iya Dorcas hated the idea of carrying the child for nine months. We continued living together for a while, working to support ourselves and sponsor our juju. Performing rituals, especially sacrificing children, was very expensive when a lot of people did not know you. We performed sacrifice using schoolchildren, especially those in primary school. Their blood was the best to attract demons, and they gave the best results. To attract the children to us, we used to share biscuits and juice with them when their school time was over. Their favorite was a wafer biscuit called Columbina Capri. The boys chose chocolate or vanilla, while the girls took strawberry flavor. They loved the Capri Sonne juice we gave them. They always told us, "Aunty, your own is very sweet," or "Aunty your own Capri Sonne is very tasty." They didn't know that they were being initiated into secret cults meetings they would attend in their dreams."

"Landlady! So you people were responsible for the mass initiation of primary school children in Anambra State!! Haaew!" Efezino exclaimed, and almost tore her dress. The Mass Initiation was one of the widely heard events in the juju world. Within two weeks, over one seven hundred children were initiated into a secret, dangerous cult through their dreams. Through a secret source, Landlady discovered that about seventy children did not attend the initiation. Later, the other children were buried; they all died in their sleep. They transformed into demons and spirits that haunted their surroundings. It was a mess.

The Garia looked at Landlady. "What did you and Iya Dorcas do? You were not caught?" Landlady gulped. "At the time, we did not use our real names or show our real faces. We used juju to make ourselves look like two witches that lived in the area so that when the events were traced to us, it was those two witches that were persecuted."

The Garia eyed her and looked at Efezino. "What do you know about Iya Dorcas?" Efezino snickered at Landlady and laughed. "I know a lot. I think it's time to expose Landlady. My dear friend, we have killed together, you were like my best friend at a point. Unfortunately, when you decided to throw me to the wolves tonight, that is now all in the past. Garia, this woman, is responsible for the disability, sorry, the disfiguring of Iya Dorcas's twins. I don't even think Iya Dorcas is aware of this."

The atmosphere suddenly changed. The three people saw faint black fog seeping out of the corners of the room. Some of it formed into sharp-tipped claws, or large, shining machetes. The Garia was now provoked. It was impossible to guess what it was feeling from its face because it held a blank expression. Efezino took in a long breath. At this rate, maybe only one of them would leave the room alive. The sharp spines widened and overlapped each other.

Landlady and Efezino were in trouble.

They almost vomited their hearts. Hot tears ran down Efezino's cheeks, Landlady almost fainted, and Baba Jide began saying the Lord's prayer. Efezino whimpered while speaking.

"Landlady told me this secret more than eight years ago, but I never thought I would use it. She made the twins look ugly. She made them unwanted, she cursed them. She told me that after they moved from Anambra state to Lagos, she met her husband there. Iya Dorcas didn't come to stay with Landlady for four months. When she came back, Landlady saw she was pregnant again. Iya Dorcas never heard from her husband after coming back. Some of her friends told her he went to see his mistress in Borno State, others said he committed suicide, and some more people said that his enemies finally killed him. Landlady told her that she thought his enemies secretly killed him."

Baba Jide played with his fingers nervously. Efezino tried to ignore Landlady's desperate yet fierce look. She decided that this time, Landlady would handle her own business. She wouldn't sacrifice her life for someone who was about to throw her to the wolves.

This was getting very ugly...

"They checked, and this time it was male twins. Landlady didn't want the twins to live, because they were destined to have more power than her." Efezino cleared her throat and continued. Her voice shook the entire time.

"They went to a Babalawo, a witch doctor, to determine the future and true gender of the babies. She told them that the twins would become handsome billionaire men, thriving from a lucrative sacrificing business. They would be the cream of the crop unless someone interfered with their health while they were still in their mother's stomach. The Babalawo, thinking Landlady was her friend, told them the twins' ultimate weakness. If someone boiled aloe vera, an egg, and red mud in a small pot, then fed it to them, they would die. Landlady was jealous, so she devised a plan to kill the twins-"

"Stop!! You're lying! See, she's lying o!" Landlady was about to smack Efezino, but the demon struck first.

They all saw a hand fall in the middle of the triangle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez, I think someone is about to leave this story...Happy New Month Guys!! Please and please, vote. Press the star. Help the book reach more peeps✨✨❤, help Nneka entertain more people❤🦆✨. In the end, this was one of the most indecisive chapters I've ever written since publishing this book.