Chapter 27

Song: Devil's Whisper

Artist: Raury

Chapter 27

The slow exhale that Mr Mora let out was a relief because he wouldn't have to be the one who lied to his daughter. Yet the weight of it being let onto two teenage boys, and them having to choose who would do it, was enough for him to hate himself. Eirene snapped her head at him. They didn't discuss that part of the plan. They were only supposed to lure the boys back to the house and make them feel intimidated. Eventually, they'd have to spill.

'What?' Wahid turned to his family, who looked confused like everyone else. They exchanged glances, but no one spoke up. He turned back to Mr Mora, who kept a poker face. 

'Sir, we're really sorry. We don't know where she is. I—I can't—Is he, really?'

On instinct, they looked around the room, as if Nikolai Mora would've popped out and surprised everyone. When he didn't show his face and Mr Mora had said nothing yet, it was set on what they had to do.

'I—I'll do it.' Frederic turned to Wahid whose eyes widened. 'I'll call... and tell her.'

Frederic imagined the first time he met Octavia and how she had his back, even though she didn't know the entire story. She helped motivate him to start the gym to get Cressida Perkin's attention even though, she wasn't fond of the idea entirely. There have been so many times where Octavia stood up for him and would've in the future if she stayed. There have also been times where he could've spoken up for her. The least he could've done now was speak up and bring her home.

Wahid sent him the number and he dialled it then pressed the phone to his ear. Mr Mora cupped his hand over his ear and pointed at the phone. He had no choice but to put it on speaker.

'Hey, Freddo, this better be an emergency because you just interrupted me from having my first ice coffee for the day. Can you believe it? I've been searching the entire day and asking people, what's the best in town!'

Mr Mora's jaw tightened at the sound of his daughter's voice. Eirene jutted out her lip and rubbed her husband's shoulder. Dustin smiled and Lucca called out his sister's name.

'Err...hey, Octavia. I was wondering when you're coming back home?'

'I don't have a place to call home.'

'That's not true.' Frederic looked at everyone's anxious habits. They all cared about her, it was enough to call home. 'We're worried about you. We...we miss you.'

'Don't get all teary-eyed on me, Freddo. Now, what's the real reason you're calling for?'

'I—I was...' he looked up at Mr Mora who nodded. 'You're brother...Nikolai, he's awake.'

'He's...what?' Octavia's voice shook and Frederic gripped the phone. It felt like she was right next to him and he held her upright. 'You're lying. Are you with my family? Where is he then? I want to talk to him.'

'Come home, Octavia,' Mr Mora raised his voice. 'You know it's the best thing to do. We're a family, we stick together. Don't let me bring the police into this. Enough with the games.'

'Papa, you set Frederic up? I can't believe this. How could you do that to him?' Mr Mora grabbed the phone from Frederic and brought it to his face. 'How could you ever make up such a lie? If I believed him and came back to Nikolai still being a damn vegetable, I'd ha—'

'You're my daughter, and you will come home!' Mr Mora's chest deflated with every shout. 'I lost your mother, I'm losing your brother...I can't fucking lose you too!'