Chapter 22

Song: Nimbin

Artist: Mappe Of

Chapter 22

Frederic hadn't shown up to the gym for several days. Wahid had no choice but to ask Octavia and Dustin for a ride. Although Octavia didn't mind, she became worried. Frederic's texts were short and cut off with him going back to work at his dad's bike shop. So, Octavia made it her mission to find out what the problem was.

Mrs Stark opened the door with wide eyes. She knew her son told her not to invite any of his friends into their home, but how could she say no to her new manager's stepdaughter? Octavia saw her advantage and smiled her way through the kitchen.

'I see Frederic's car is in the driveway,' she pointed above. 'Is he busy?'

'Err... you're close with him, aren't you, Octavia?' Mrs Stark pulled out a tray from the bottom drawer.

 In the fridge, she retrieved ingredients to make a sandwich. Octavia nodded and watched the woman make two sandwiches. 

'I don't know what's going on. He helps his dad out at the shop then comes right home and hibernates in that room.'

Once the sandwiches finished, she placed them on the tray and got a can of soda along with a glass of water. She set a granola bar next to the plate. She slid the tray across the counter and looked up at Octavia. 

'Frederic's not really open with us. Wahid came by last night and let's just say... it was his shortest visit. Please, he's barely eaten anything.'

Octavia understood and took the tray of food with her head raised. Mrs Stark hoped she'd crack his son. She climbed the steps and lightly kicked his door. Frederic called her mom and shooed her away. With both hands occupied, she leaned down on the door handle with her elbow. The door creaked open and Frederic barely noticed that it wasn't his mother.

The room was dark. The curtains closed, and monitors cast a single shadow on the wall. His shadow hadn't moved from the same spot in days. When he noticed Octavia, he jumped up and froze his game. She cursed her way into the dark and pushed the tray to his chest.

'Ouch, what are you doing here?' he set the tray down on the floor beside him. 

Octavia looked around and tried to make out something. Only the square of Samurai's, and Viking's fighting filled her vision. She sat crossed legged next to him and pointed at the food. 

'I'm not hungry.'

'Freddo, I'm here because you haven't been to the gym in days. Wahid and Dustin are crushing me!' 

When that didn't get a reaction from him, she sighed and turned to look at him. The glare from the game barely made out his dry eyes and scruff that appeared on his cheeks from not shaving. His hair greasier than usual and she was sure he hadn't showered. 

'Also, I'm worried about you. We're worried about you. I'm sure a hangover doesn't last this long.' 

When Frederic didn't reply and continued to play, she crossed her arms and leaned back against the sofa. 'I was also coming here to tell you I might have a lead on what happened that night at the party but since you won't tell me or eat, I'll keep it to myself.'

'Not interested.'

'I'm not leaving here until you tell me. We can do this all day, Freddo.'

Frederic sighed and dropped his controller. She noticed he only spoke because he died in the game and it restarted, 'Cressida isn't talking to me.'