Chapter 1

Song: my boy

Artist: Billie Eilish

Chapter 1

Time was a thing that flew by so fast, yet dragged by the second. To live but not live it. How long was time? Where did people go? How long was the wait? Waiting followed time. Anything people wanted, they had to wait. That particular person to come, there was a wait. Going somewhere required waiting and a lot of patience.

Yet Octavia Mora wasn't the type of person who had the time to wait or had a lot of patience. She expected a lot in her life yet the time... slipped away. Her mind was the one who took up the time, which distracted her from anticipation and grew her patience.

On that Tuesday morning, her mind focused on one thing, and how damn long he took. She stared at Dustin while he searched for the golden syrup. She could've gotten up and helped him, but the thought of a new school played in her mind. Dustin eased her mood with pancakes. It became a tradition to have pancakes on the first day of a new school since she had many of those.

'Ha!' Dustin backed out of the pantry and raised the bottle before he set it down in front of her.

'Thanks, Dustin.' Octavia grabbed the bottle and thought to cover her stack in syrup. Another pimple showed up this morning on her chin. She'd only make it worse with all the syrup. Oh, well.

'Dustin!' a voice echoed throughout the open floor house. Octavia glanced up from her pancakes and snickered at Dustin. His eyes widened, and he quickly adjusted his tailcoat. He ran his fingers through his blonde hair and straightened before Octavia's father entered the room.

'Ja', Mister Mora?' Dustin clamped his hands behind his back and stood opposite the island. Octavia's father approached the island and set down a maroon tie. He fumbled with the top button of his white pressed shirt and sized-up Dustin.

'My daughter is supposed to be getting to school. Not moping around with her butler.'

'Very vell' sir.' Dustin nodded and pulled Octavia's plate away before she got another bite. She scowled and chugged down the iced coffee before he snatched that too. 'Come on, Octa—'

'Oh, and Dustin?' Mr Mora grinned at his daughter. She raised an eyebrow and rose to her feet. 'Escort her until she's inside the building.'

Octavia's eyes widened, and she pleaded in Italian. Mr Mora's laugh ricocheted. He slipped on the tie, kissed his begging daughter on the soft part of her head and walked out the backdoor. Once he was out of sight, Dustin teased and mocked her in broken Italian. Octavia slung her bag over her shoulder and muttered the only curse word she knew in German. He stopped and responded. Yet she didn't know what that meant. 

She retrieved the car keys from the row of hooks while Dustin cleaned up. Her father left the garage door open, so she started the Audi and moved over to the passenger seat. That's as far as Octavia let herself go. Her father insisted she drive it out of the property, she wouldn't even drive out of the garage. 

Dustin got into the car and off they went to her new high school. She grew out of the phase of being excited. All the people she'd meet. The friends she'd make. It was all a facade because everyone was the same. They treated people like Octavia ugly. 

Not even people like Octavia. She glanced at the man beside her. Dustin and Mr Mora had their disputes. She hated that her father didn't like it when Dustin spoke German. Mr Mora claimed that Dustin's supposed to speak English like everyone else. Yet when we went to Germany that one time, who guided us? Octavia shook her head. Her dad didn't like it when Octavia spoke a lot of Italian either. She can't help that it hit a soft spot for him.