Prologue

Thirteen year old Effie Trinket ran. She ran as fast as her legs would possibly carry her. She had to get away. Far away from the destruction, the fire, the thick black smoke that the unforgiving Capitol had inflicted on her home. District 13 was gone, along with her home, her family, friends, possessions. All gone, everything she knew. She was away from District 13 when the bombs were dropped, in the fields, and the black smoke was slowly catching up to her. Effie couldn't carry on, although she was not a weak girl, the smoke in her lungs forced her to stop as she could barely breathe any longer.She collapsed onto the slowly burning, dry grass, her tear stained face staring at the smoke that was once her home. It was the Capitol, they were angry at them because of the rebellion. Now she was alone. Everything she knew was gone. As thick black smoke filled her lungs, Effie thought of one last thing, that nothing in her life would ever be the same.

When Effie awoke she was hundreds of feet high, being lifted into a Capitol hovercraft. She was safe, but the Capitol had found her, there was no telling what they'd do. As she entered the ship, she was greeted by a friendly , rather eccentric looking woman, with a bright green wig and blue jacket on. She looked really familiar. Then it hit Effie. She was one of the hunger games escorts. Why was she here?
"Yes, she will do nicely." The woman said in a shrill voice. She examined Effie, pulling at her waist length blonde hair that had light curls at the tips. "Pretty, lovely blue eyes, lovely complexion. Stunning hair. Perfect for an escort. Just wait till we doll her up nicely."
"What do you want me for?" She asked tentatively.
"Why, dear, you are going to train to be an escort for the hunger games, like me!" She said ecstatically.
She felt like she was on the brink of tears, but she was going to be strong, even though life had changed so drastically in the last 10 hours, and not for the better. She would have to become one of those Capitol clowns against her will, the ones that everyone despised and were called 'child murderers' behind the backs of the Capitol citizens. But she knew that she wouldn't be that person, even if everyone thought she was.