Chapter 12

It was a few weeks after Anna was born and Effie was prepping for the reaping. She was excited about returning to District Twelve to see Haymitch, but had no idea what to say to him. She decided that it would be best just to talk to him normally and if he tried to ask she would just blank him and move on. It was going to be extremely hard, but Effie had to cope if her daughter was going to live.
This year it was the 74th hunger games and Effie was not looking forward to reaping two innocent teenagers who would most likely die in front of the whole of Panem. The time quickly arrived when she had to board the train to twelve. She had reluctantly dressed in a garish pink suit and a pink wig. She felt so different and just like a shell of the person she once was, bubbly and happy and totally in love with Haymitch, who she could no longer be with. It broke her heart knowing this.
The train journey flashed by, the whole time spent worrying about seeing Haymitch and having to hide everything she knew. She got of the train and was ushered to the Justice Building, angry faces following her as she passed by. All the District Twelve teenagers were filed into rows outside the Justice Building and Effie stood nervously at the two reaping dishes, full of names of innocent 12-18 year olds. She unwillingly repeated her lines that she said every year when she was interrupted by a drunken Haymitch stumbling onto stage and throwing his arms around her. She pushed him off and he stood to the side of the stage, but she wanted to just hold him. Effie introduced the video from the Capitol and grim faces watched the screen, knowing the games could be their fate. It finished and it was time to reap the girls.
"Now for the girls." she said smiling. She tentatively drew a slip of paper from the dish and undid. Everyone was holding their breath. "Primrose Everdeen." Effie scanned the crowd for an anxious looking girl. When she saw Primrose she nearly cried, because she was only 12 or 13. She started to make her way up to the stage when an older girl with brunette hair in a side plait ran out screaming, "I volunteer, I volunteer as tribute!" The peacekeepers pushed her back but when they realised she was volunteering they led her up the steps. She said, " Here we are, District Twelves very first volunteer. What's your name dear?" The girl replied quietly, never looking at her face.
"Katniss Everdeen."
"Well I bet my buttons that was your sister!"
Katniss just nodded and she decided to draw the boys. Effie walked over to the dish, "Now for the boys." She stuck her hand in gently and grabbed a slip, and opened it once again. "Peeta Mellark!" She tried to say cheerily. The boy, about 16 left the crowd and walked onstage. Effie welcomed him and said to the crowd, "Our District Twelve Tributes!" The crowd dispersed and Katniss and Peeta spoke to their families before the train left. Effie boarded the train and Haymitch was on it soon after. He saw her and began to question her about the whereabouts of their daughter. She refused to say anything, hoping that he would assume President Snow had told her not to talk to him. He stank of alcohol and she could see the misery in his eyes. It was going to be a hard games.