Chapter 15

The rest of the hovercraft journey was spent in silence. Katniss was sitting there trying to process what she had just learnt and the fact that Snow had Peeta, meanwhile Effie was leaning on Haymitch's arm. She realised that she still had all her Capitol attire on so she hastily pulled off her blue wig, revealing her blonde hair. Effie reached into a bag that she had packed when she knew that they were going to district thirteen. She meant to pull out some makeup wipes to clean the muck off of her face, but instead a small photo album fell to the floor. Picking it up, Haymitch flicked through the memories that were tucked into the pages. Katniss moved over to look and saw images of a 13 and 15 year old Effie and Haymitch at the tribute party where they first met. Katniss looked shocked, she hadn't seen Effie like this before and she wasn't used to seeing Effie as a normal teenage girl. There were more photos though, Pictures of them hugging in Haymitch's house in 12, Effie next to Haymitch, in normal clothing. Even ones of a heavily pregnant Effie. Haymitch looked down sadly, thinking that their child was dead, and Effie turned away, remembering her baby girl, who in the grasp of Snow may very well be dead by now. Katniss murmured, "You have a child?". Neither of them answered and Katniss too fell silent. Effie couldn't answer this question until she knew where her daughter was.

A while passed and the Hovercraft landed with a thud when they had arrived at district thirteen, a place that was once
Effie's home. Tentatively she walked out of the hovercraft, she was considerably shorter than Katniss and Haymitch and she was resting her head onto his shoulder as they were greeted by Alma Coin. Coin had a severe face with severely cut hair, the picture of authority. Everywhere she looked were people standing in jumpsuits, unable to recognise Effie without the heavy makeup and outrageous wigs. Katniss ran to her Mother and Sister as they emerged from the crowd. Gale had saved them from being bombed in District 12 just a few hours ago. Clinging to Haymitch Effie scanned the crowd of people for familiar faces. If most of 13 had survived it meant that her parents could be there and many of her friend. She stopped when a familiar pair of eyes locked with hers. Viewing the figure fully she recognised the person to be none other than her best friend Imogen. Squealing, Imogen raced through the crowd and embraced Effie. "Oh, Eff, I missed you, I watched you every year as an escort for 12. You looked so different in all that makeup, but I knew that the Effie I knew was underneath all of that." Effie began to cry. She was home, "I missed you too Imi." Imogen let Effie out of her embrace and stepped back saying, "I'll talk to you later, there are other people you have to see."

She continued to walk by Haymitch through the crowd, until an elderly couple stepped out. Her parents!
"Mum, Dad!" Effie cried. "We missed you sweetheart, but we were watching you all the time when you were on the TV. I hated myself when I let you go out when 13 was bombed and I saw what the capitol had done to you, but my little girl is back. Is this your husband?" Effie's mum said looking at Haymitch happily. Effie nodded. Her dad spoke, "Effie we have something for you," he said smiling, "Or should we say someone?". He reached into the crowd and someone passed him something. When he revealed what it was Effie began to sob with delight. It was Anna, her baby girl was safe. Holding Anna tight she turned to Haymitch who looked rather confused. "Oh, Haymitch, she's our baby."