Chapter 13

For the rest of the games she managed to avoid Haymitch where it was possible. Hiding behind a mask of pink lipstick and wigs, Effie was crumbling inside, and there was nothing she could do about it. On the last day of the games, when only three tributes remained, Peeta, Katniss and Cato. She was anxious, because only one of the district 12 tributes could win, but it would kill Katniss and Peeta to have to kill one another. When the final fight began she could hardly look, but as Cato was torn apart by the mutts she realised that Peeta and Katniss would refuse to murder each other. She was right, because as they lifted nightshade berries to their mouth a voice boomed across the arena announcing their victory.
And that was that, the end of another games, meaning that she would not be able to see Haymitch again until a year later. She knew it was for the best, but she could barely stomach the thought of forcefully being separated from her husband.

5 months later...
Today Effie would be able to see her beautiful baby girl, and she was beaming. She hurried to get ready, refusing to wear any of the Capitol's 'finery', because she wanted Anna to recognise her for who she was underneath the mask she was forced to wear. Her long blonde hair tumbled down her back in soft waves, and her face was soft and smiling. She wore a simple outfit, a skirt and top. Leaving the house, she hurried to the President's mansion trying to avoid meeting anybody, not that they would recognise her anyway. When she arrived, the door swung open for her and she entered. She was immediately greeted by a guard and was escorted to a room. President Snow then came in and sat down, "Hello Miss Trinket, your daughter will be brought to you shortly, but right now I just wanted to congratulate you on being so well behaved, you avoided any contact with Mr Abernathy and for that you can spend a weekend with your daughter in my mansion. That is all." Effie nodded and waited patiently for her daughter to be brought to her after Snow had left. When the door opened she suddenly became anxious, until she laid her eyes on her 6month old daughter. Gurgling, Anna smiled happily up at Effie as she was given to her. Hours passed quickly and soon Effie realised that Haymitch might never get to see his daughter, let alone know that she existed. Effie had missed many crucial moments with her daughter, but he would miss it all. That made it just too hard for Effie and she broke down in tears. Anna's sweet laughter ceased as she looked worriedly up at her Mum. She had Haymitch's grey-blue eyes and her blonde hair. The rest of the weekend Effie spent messing around and making the most of her time with her little girl. However, the time passed to soon and she was once again separated from Anna, her heart shattering as she heard her wails down the corridor. She felt as if she had lost everyone that she loved and she would have to wait another six months to see her daughter and Haymitch again.