Chapter Fourteen - Lights and Sirens

Start from the beginning

"Woohoo!" Arlo whooped from the back, his voice full of joy and excitement. 

Cameron slowly brought her arms away from her face, but stayed curled up in her ball. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest, blood pumping loudly in her ears. She let out a wobbly breath. They were now on some old runway, heading towards an old hangar. At least, it looked old and unused. 

She checked the wing mirrors for a third time to find the blue lights slowly shrinking as they drove away. She frowned and examined more closely. The police had stopped at the fence. With the way the chain link fence had fallen, there was no way the police cars would be able to get through without bursting their tires.

"Everyone get ready to grab your stuff and get out. We're changing vehicles." Myles ordered, taking over Kalmin's role as leader.

Cameron glanced around for her stuff, only to face-palm mentally and realize her bag was back at the motel. She hadn't grabbed it. 

"Here you go Cam." 

A weight was dropped into her lap from the back. She looked down to find the bag she had just thought she had left in the motel. She turned to face the back and found Arlo grinning at her. His lip was split with a cut on his cheek from whatever had happened to them when she had been in an alley with Ashley. 

"Thank you." She gave him a small smile, though she felt it was more like a grimace. 

"It's fine," Arlo waved her off, lifting her duffel bag and handing it to her as well. "Reid and I got everyone's bags into the van when everyone went to get you."

Cameron nodded, nibbling on the inside of her cheek. 

Damn. If she hadn't run off, would any of this happened? Most likely not. Her brothers wouldn't look like they had beaten off a group of boxers, and Kalmin wouldn't have been shot. If she just hadn't run after Ashley. 

"Everyone out!" Myles' voice cut through her guilty thoughts. 

She opened the passenger door, swinging her rucksack over her shoulder as she got out and grabbing the duffel bag once she was standing. Somehow they had entered the old hangar without her even noticing. She slammed the van door shut, and slid the side door open.

Reid jumped out, helping a semi-conscious Kalmin out with Myles. Arlo and Lloyd climbed out after, both carrying extra bags since Reid, Myles and Kalmin were unable to carry them. 

Diego rushed out after shutting the engine off, stuffing the keys into his jacket pocket. 

Cameron followed behind them as they moved towards a-

She raised her eyebrows in disbelief.

An ice cream truck. 

Seriously?

She was definitely not imagining this. There was an ice cream truck parked in the middle of the hangar, covered in pastel colours and grinning cartoon characters.

"My baby!" Arlo exclaimed, hobbling to the truck and hugging the side.

Of course it belonged to Arlo. 

"I'm driving!" Arlo declared, opening the unlocked drivers door and throwing his bags inside.

Cameron shook her head incredulously, but moved towards the van.

"Chameleon, you're up front with me." Arlo called out from the driver's window. He had already climbed inside and was bouncing with excitement. "Come on! It'll be fun."

Cameron didn't say anything about the new nickname, still slightly speechless on the fact they were escaping in a ice cream truck. Instead, she jogged around to the other side and pulled herself up into the passenger seat. She dumped both of her bags into the foot space, leaving just enough room for her feet. 

The inside was not like she would have expected it. Instead of all the ice cream equipment and freezers, it was very similar to the van with the seating arrangements. Except for the little hanging lights dotting around the roof of the truck, and the pastel colours painted on the inside and outside walls, it could have easily been a normal van. 

Once everyone was inside, Arlo started the engine, a joyful glint is in high as the engine hummed happily. 

"Seatbelts everyone." Arlo reminded, clicking his own into place dramatically.

Cameron slid hers on.

"Urh, Arlo. We don't have any back here." Myles stated questionably. "I thought you were putting some in?"

Arlo face-palmed with a smack. "I knew I forgot something. Dammit, why didn't anyone remind me?" His expressions changed to his cheeky grin as he waved everyone off. "Oh well, let's get going."

Cameron sighed quietly. Off they go again.