Chapter Fourteen - Lights and Sirens

Start from the beginning

"Great, that means we just need to ditch the van." Diego twisted the wheel, the van cutting into another lane to the annoyance of the other drivers on the road.

"And the police." Lloyd added.

"Myles, do you know anywhere we could go?" Arlo asked, sliding back to his own seat in the back.

"Give me a minute." Myles voice sounded strained, his attention concentrated on something else.

Cameron half-debated checking over the back of the seat again to see what was going on back there, but thought better of it.

"Done," Reid muttered. "He's out for now though."

She breathed a sigh of relief that Kalmin had finished being stitched up but guilt still swirled in her stomach. He had taken that bullet for her.

"Okay," Myles' voice came stronger than before, now focused on finding somewhere for them to go. "There should be a turning to the left coming up. Turn down there, then take the third right. Once there, you should know where to go."

Diego grunted in acknowledgement. 

Cameron turned to face the front, legs still pulled up to her chest. She was grateful that she didn't get carsick, otherwise this would be the worst experience going. With the cars they passed looking like blurs, the blue lights flashing behind, and the sirens echoing around them it wouldn't take much for a carsick person to lose their lunch. Not that she had any. She still hadn't had breakfast.

She slid to the right in her seat as the van turned left, the tires making a small squealing noise against the tarmac of the road. More screeching noises followed as the blue lights followed.

Cameron kept an eye out to the right. They passed the first right turn. Diego was still getting the van to gain speed, even though they had turned onto a smaller road. The second right turn passed them. She checked in the wing mirrors, seeing a couple of police cars speeding about fifteen metres behind them. 

Everyone was jolted to the left, the van wheels skidding along the road leaving tire marks, as they took the sharp third right turn. A painful groan from Kalmin made her wince and bite her lip guiltily.

"Oh, okay." Diego muttered, eyes scanning the road in front of them. Old buildings were blurring together on either side of them. 

"What?" Cameron queried, wondering what he was up to.

"I know where we are," Diego explained, a smirk coming to his face. "This should be fun."

Cameron didn't feel like it was going to be fun with the tone he used. 

"Hold on tight, this could be a bit bumpy," Diego warned. Cameron heard the several clicks of seatbelts being put on in response to his warning. Did they all really not have seatbelts on before?

The van lurched forward, and Cameron was pushed back into her seat, as they gained even more speed. She didn't even want to look at the speedometer to see how fast they were really going, seeing the blurs going past her was enough. The noise of the blaring sirens behind them became less noisy. She checked the wing mirror to see the police cars further away then they had been.

She looked forward again, only to see them flying straight towards the end of the road, where a chain link fence stood. The van wasn't slowing down, and there were no other turnings she could see that would lead them off this road. He wasn't seriously going to-

She squeezed her eyes shut, bringing her arms to cover her face, just when the van broke through the fence. The screeching of the broken metal on the vans side was much like nails on a chalkboard. Horrible and ear-splitting.