𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝑻𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

Start from the beginning

Ariadne wanted to warn Cocalus: Don't trust him! Throw him in the dungeon with something that could kill him! But the red headed king just chuckled. "Not to worry, Minos. My daughters are wise behind their years. Now, about my god—"

"Yes," Minos said. "But you see the gold is for the man who solved the riddle. And there can be only one such man. You harboring Daedalus."

Cocalus shifted uncomfortably on his throne. "How is that you know his name?"

"He is a thief," Minos said. "He once worked in my court, Cocalus. He turned my own daughter against me. He helped a usurper make a fool of me in my own palace. And then he escaped justice. I have been pursuing him for ten years."

"I knew nothing of this. But I have offered the man my protection. He has been a most useful—"

"I offer you a choice," Minos said. "Turn over the fugitive to me, and this gold is yours. Or sick making me your enemy. You do not want Crete as your enemy."

Cocalus paled. If she had been ruler, she would've killed Minos on the spot, or told him to back off and leave, no matter how much gold there was. She wouldn't put up with it. But Cocalus just sat there sweating on his throne.

"Father," his oldest daughter said," you can't—"

"Silence, Aelia." Cocalus twisted his beard. He looked again at the glittering gold. "This pains me, Minos. The gods do not love a man who breaks his path of hospitality."

"The gods do not love those who harbor criminals, either."

Cocalus nodded. "Very well. You shall have your man in chains."

"Father!" Aelia said again. Then she caught herself, and changed her voice to a sweeter tone. "At—at least let us feast our guest first. After his long journey, he should be treated to a hot bath, new clothes, and a decent meal. I would be honored to draw the bath myself."

She smiled prettily at Minos, and the old king grunted. "I suppose a bath would not be amiss." He looked at Cocalus. "I will see you at dinner, my lord. With the prisoner."

"This way, Your Majesty," said Aelia. She and her sisters led Minos out of the chamber.

Ariadne followed them into a bath chamber decorated with mosaic tiles. Steam filled the air. A running water faucet poured hot water into a tub. Aelia and her sisters filled it with rose petals and something that was the Ancient Greek equivalent of Mr. bubble, because soon the water was covered with multicolored foam.

The girls turned aside as Minos dropped his robes and slipped into the bath (Ariadne had made sure not to see anything, she didn't want night mares ).

"Ahh." He smiled. "An excellent bath. Thank you, my dears. The journey has been long indeed."

"You have been chasing your prey ten years, my lord?" Aelia  asked, batting her eyelashes. "You must be very determined."

"I never forget a debt." Minos grinned. "Your father was wise to agree to my demands."

"Oh, indeed, my lord!" Aelia said. She thought she was laying on the flattery pretty thick, but the old guy was eating it up. Aelia's sisters trickled scented oil over the king's head.

"You know, my lord," Aelia  said, "Daedalus thought you would come. He thought the riddle might be a trap, but he couldn't resist solving it."

Minos frowned. "Daedalus spoke to you about me?"

"Yes, my lord."

"He is a bad man, princess. My own daughter fell under his spell. Do not listen to him."