Part XXIII | Fara

Every scar on her body burned

Every scar on her body burned. Every small cut. Every violent kiss. Each roughened part of flesh screamed in chorus.

She thought of the child quickening within her. Wondered how it could possibly survive in the nest she sought to build. This poor weak thing surrounded by blood and sin. So many sins. All of which she had committed to bring her back here.

And here he was, stronger and more powerful than he had ever been.

But so are you.

Obey. Survive. Avenge.

She took an unsteady breath and lowered her eyes from the dagger to her plate.

'I suppose Ravol has told you to be wary of me? He has already accused me of returning to you as Leoth's assassin.' She lifted her fork and sliced a corner of the hot sweet bread. Then stabbed it gently and brought it to her mouth. It was delicious but she had no appetite. Swallowing, she took a sip of tea. Valdr's gaze never left her. 'But surely you know by now that he is a man who lives in a world of shadows? He mistrusts everything and everyone; certainly those who threaten to divert your attention or dependence. He would likely share your bed if you let him.'

'Ravol seeks only to protect me,' Valdr said. 'From any and all who would hurt or betray me.'

'And I have done both.'

He looked at her directly. 'More than any other.'

'As you have hurt and betrayed me more than any other,' she said.

A muscle in his jaw ticked. Before something like guilt slid into his eyes. He lowered his eyes first, his hand dropping away from the dagger. The small triumph blazed through her without fanfare.

'But it is this that binds us, Valdr. That which we do unto each other. That which no one else would understand.' She pushed back her chair and went to kneel next to him. She took his hand, his fingers as cold as she remembered. 'I did not leave you to hurt you, surely you know this? I did it because I wanted you to be a great king.' I did it to save myself. 'The king that this realm deserved. One they could worship and love.'

The words came easily because they were true. She despised him as she loved him. She wanted greatness for him as desperately as she longed for his end. She felt cocooned by his love even as it killed her.

'I did not believe that possible while I was by your side. I weakened you, so I left you.' She clutched his hand tighter. 'I still believe you have greatness in you, Valdr. But it is not standing beside Zybar as they destroy Ethis realm by realm. How long before Torrik turns upon us as he did Leoth? But perhaps... perhaps I was too hasty in asking you set the princess aside; maybe this union with Zybar can be something more? She is loyal to you. Perhaps you and she will go on to produce a line of heirs which would do more to strengthen our realms than any war pact could?'