Part V | Fara

'How?' she whispered.

How was it possible that Elyon knew what she had only accepted herself as she flew away from Leoth?

'I suspected it when I first caught your scent in Mor's kitchen,' he explained, glancing down at where her hand rested across her stomach. 'Pure Azurian blood, under Leoth's moon, is a powerful and potent thing.'

'Then Theodan would have scented it too?' She ventured. 'Would have... known?'

'All those of Azura's line have the same scent to those of Leoth's bloodline. The closer that Azurian blood is to you, the stronger the scent. It was only when I heard of the moon's call — for that is unusual — that I suspected. Only one Azura's royal line beneath a plenary moon could expect such a reaction to it. 'Twas then I guessed that you carried the Prince's child.'

'And Theodan?'

The Leoth shrugged. 'Perhaps he knows. Perhaps not. He was oft blinded to any and all reason when it came to you, Fara of Calate.'

The blush hit her cheeks and she looked down, away from his weighty gaze. Elyon turned from her and strolled down a small hillock which led away from the stream and into the thick of the wood. 'Do not roam far,' he warned without looking back.

Packed into the saddle of the Varveh was a thick blanket made of rough mottled fabric. She unfastened it from its hold and moved to find a level patch of ground on which to lay it. Next, she retrieved the skinned flasks of wine and water and sat them upon the blanket.

She guessed that whatever Elyon had gone off to hunt would likely require cooking and so keeping in mind his instruction, she began to search around the immediate area for anything with which he may be able to start a fire.

She stopped now and then to examine the flowers and plants, the leaves of the trees, hoping it would offer clues to where in Calate they may be. The forests of the southern regions were closer in character to those found in Azura. Dry, vibrant, fragrant places filled with sweet scents and lightly spiced air. Closer to home in Prissia, the forests were damp, green and lush; more closely resembling Leoth's verdant woodlands. By the thick vegetation around her, she guessed that they had landed in the Virheim region to the north-west of Prissia. On one side the great Virheim mountains led to the icy waters of the Infernal Kral Sea which stretched around the world to meet Zybar's southern coast. Many ships had been lost exploring what lay in those tideless black depths. Southeast lay Prissia and all of her townships and villages. Southeast awaited Valdr.

The homesteads of Virheim were sparse; small farms dotted into and around the foot of the mountains rearing sheep, pigs and cows to be sold to the larger towns in the south. What confused her theory of geography though was the apparent lack of soldiers. Surely Valdr would have sent men to patrol those borders closest to Leoth? Most vulnerable to attack? Especially after his own attack on Leoth's camp at Azura? He had declared war on the most powerful realm of Ethis and did not fear rebuke? Had he truly no fear left? Had he finally lost his mind to insanity?

The only thing which frightens me is losing you, Fara. If I had to exist here in this mortal realm without you, I too would be lost.

How long had he mourned her, she wondered? There would have been no great ceremonies held to mourn her passing, for that was not Calate's way. Sacraments would be spoken quietly in the homes of her people, rites performed over her body in the Temple of Kandin — over the broken burned body of a nameless Azurian girl. Then before the Altar of Naharina, her body would be given to the flames and her ashes scattered upon the eastern winds.

Had he taken Dura of Zybar to wife yet? She felt dread worm its way into her heart for the Zybarian princess. Dura of Zybar who'd had Galyn taken from her, Dura who had done nothing to deserve what would happen to her now. Perhaps she could yet save Dura of Zybar from the worst of Valdr? Or at least help her endure it. So many to save.