Part VIII | Fara

They reached the outskirts of Alathy just before dusk. A quaint-looking farmhouse sat up ahead, a field of butter-milk cornfields stretching out on one side and a small orchard whose trees had not yet borne fruit on the other. A row of small hillocks tucked in neatly behind.

In the garden to the side of the house, Fara could make out a woman folding white sheets into a basket while a small child ran around, wildly thrusting out a wooden stick like a sword. Behind the house the sun sat low on the horizon, spilling a warm purple haze out across the farm. It was a picturesque scene to Fara's mind.

'What colour would you say are the leaves of those trees over there?' Elyon asked her, pointing in the direction of the orchard.

'Brown,' she said, absently. 'But Sunalven will soon turn them, and they'll produce the sweetest Arula fruit.' She could already feel the chill of Moonalven beginning to lift from the trees and the air around them.

'Arula fruit; and what colour is that?' He asked it as though he already knew the answer but merely required her confirmation.

Arula fruit was akin to sweetbutter or honeyspice in hue. 'Yellow,' she answered for simplicity.

Elyon made a noise, satisfied. 'And the cornfields, they too will turn yellow, yes?'

She looked at him then, quite bemused, while continued to study the large rows of corn which spread all the way to the farmhouse.

'Yes.''Then it is the place,' he said and urged the Varveh out of the shadow of the trees. As he spurred towards the house she clutched at him in panic.

'Elyon you cannot!' She cried. 'There is a child! A Leoth riding at them will terrify them!'

It was as though she had not spoken at all for he sped on towards the farmhouse, slowing only when they were almost upon the low wooden fence which skirted the garden. The woman had halted her task and moved out from behind the sheet to watch them approach. She called out to her child --a boy Fara could see now, with nut-brown curls that danced as he ran --and ordered him inside the house. When the boy did not immediately obey, she rushed toward him and herded him inside.

When they were upon the house, Elyon halted the Varveh with a word and climbed down from the saddle. Some cold terrible fear crept over her as he strode toward the woman, her mouth drying. He would not hurt them, a mother and child. He would not. Surely? Frightened and uncertain, she moved to fumble with the harness.

'Na'as di Wyndoveia,' said Elyon to the woman.

There was a pause, the woman swallowed, and then replied: 'Na'as di Wyndoveia.'

Fara blinked, shocked. Leothin. The woman, this farmers wife, spoke Leothin? It could not be...

'Ik,' Elyon said.

'My husband is not here,' the woman told him, her voice rattling like glass.

'The debt is still owed,' said Elyon.

'Yes.'

Fara could only stare, open-mouthed.

'Are you alone here but for the child?'

The woman nodded, a little hopelessly. 'Yes.'

'I require food, water and a stable out of sight for my beast until I return,' he told her. 'And the loan of a horse, strong enough to carry us both.' He gestured at Fara.

'That... that is all?' The woman asked, disbelieving.

'That is all,' Elyon confirmed and relief flooded the woman's features. 'Do any soldiers make their camp upon your land?' He asked. For some reason the woman hesitated, prompting Elyon to say, 'Lie and I will know it. I shall make you watch first while I devour your son.'