Chapter 8

"Newsies! Get em!!!" Jack shouted as him and all the Manhattan newsboys ran wrecklessy towards the large group of men. I held back at the rear of our group. I heard Jack shout. 

"Race make sure Teddy finds a hiding spot." He called. The next thing I know I'm being pulled by my arm. I look up to see Race dragging me over behind a very high stack of old newspapers. "Don't move!" Race said while running back to the action. 

I hated having to just sit here and hear the screaming and shouting that was going on. I needed to do something. That's when I thought of it. 

Les.

Where was he? Was he safe? I had to go find him. I made my way out from my hiding place, careful to avoid any objects being thrown.  "Les?!" I called out. "Les where are you?" I shouted. It was hard to see anything. Between papers being flung everywhere, men and boys fighting pushing and pulling at each other, I couldn't see anything. 

"Teddy! Teddy help!!" Les squealed. I followed his voice. I found him hiding in a barrel right in the middle of all the fighting. As I was pulling him out I felt large arms wrap around my waist. They weren't arms I recognized. I turned my head to see a large man with a grizzly beard, a breath that could knock out a flock of sheep and a large beer belly.

"Let me go!" I shrieked trying to squirm out of his arms.

"Well look what we's have here. A girl!" The man jeered tightening his grip on me. he started to laugh. The more I squirmed the tighter he made the grip. 

I did the only thing I could think of. I spat in his face and kicked him right in the 'Coney Island'. He released me as he grumbled in pain. I grabbed Les and began to pull him back to my hiding spot. "You're gonna pay for that missy!" Shouted the man now running after us. He yanked me by my hair causing me to jolt backwards. "Les keep running!" I scream. 

The man turns me around and next thing I know I feel a direct hit to my face. I go down hard. "Hey get off of her!" Albert shouts. 

I can barely keep my eyes open. "Teddy? Teddy can you hear me it's Jojo. "Teddy I need you to stay awake." Insisted Jojo who had now lifted me up and carried me towards our hiding spot. Next thing I knew I had passed out.

A couple hours later

I woke up in my bed with a pounding headache. My forehead had been bandaged up. Similar to the first time I arrived in the lodging house, beside me in the little wooden chair was Race fast asleep with the cigar still placed in his mouth. 

I lean over and nudge his arm. His eyes jerk open. "You're awake!" He cried out. I smile letting out a little giggle. He stands up to head out the door but I grab his hand first. "Race don't tell them yet. I don't think I can handle a bunch of screaming boys in this tiny room right now." I chuckled. 

Race sat back down in the chair. It went silent for a little bit until I could hear quiet whimpers. "Race?" I said.

He looked directly into my eyes. His were red and puffy. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I shouldn't have left you today. It's my fault you were hurt. If I hadn't of left you alone we wouldn't be in this position." He cried.

"Race-" I whispered.

"I'm not done. I'm sorry we had our argument. You were only trying to be a good friend and I completely blanked you. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for everything." He broke down. 

I pulled him into an embrace. "Sshhh Race it's okay. Today wasn't your fault. That was my own decision to go out there. I got myself in that mess not you." I reassured him hugging him tighter.

"What happened on the rooftop, let's just forgive and forget okay?" I break away to look at him, while wiping the tears that poured down his face.

He sniffled and nodded.

I have never seen Race like this before. He looked so.. Fragile. I pulled him in for a hug again. His crying got quieter, his breath coming back to normal. 

"So how long was I out for?" I asked curiously. "Around four hours." He replied. 

"Wow what did I miss?" I questioned.

Race looked down towards the floor as if he wanted to avoid the question. 

"Race?" 

"Yeah so about that." He stuttered. "Crutchie was taken away by Snyder and Jack's gone missing." 

"What?!?!" I screamed.