Chapter 2

Jack's POV:

It was Heather! My little sister who I haven't seen in eight years. She must be thirteen by now. She's so small, so frail. Her body it's all bone. She looks like she hasn't eaten in weeks. She could barely say my name just before passing out.

I gently scooped her up in my arms. I need to take her back to the lodging house. It's not much but gosh it's better than what she must be used to. 

I can't believe she's actually here in my arms. I never thought I'd see her again. After we were split up when we were younger I had no idea where they had taken her to. I searched for so long but I couldn't find any trace of her. 

I spent most of my time in and out of boy's orphanages, getting kicked out of every single one of them due to the constant fact I would always be sneaking off to try and find Heather. I ended up on the streets, pick-pocketing coins, watches or anything valuable I could get my hands on. I had to in order to survive. Anything I stole, I used to buy food and clothes for me and other homeless kids living on the streets. 

Unfortunately I was caught and taken to the refuge. A nasty place for children on the streets. A prison cell would be nicer than the refuge. Five kids to one bed, vermin everywhere, barely any food to survive and of course run by Satan himself, Snyder.

I managed to escape the refuge. It even made the papes! Some on the other hand weren't so lucky. They're either still stuck inside to this day or they don't wake up the next morning. 

As I marched up the stairs of the lodging house carrying Heather's cold little body, Crutchie greeted me at the top of the stairs. "Uh Jack? What ya got there?" He asked with a confused expression. Crutchie stumbled to the side as I made my way past him not saying a word. When I walked into the room all the newsboys looked up from what they were doing. It was silent. I stepped past them making my way to a vacant bed at the very end of the room. 

They all got up from their various chairs and beds and followed. I laid Heather down on the bed, pulling the blanket over her. "Specs go get me a wet towel." I demanded.

I heard feet scattering away presumably Specs' to go do what I ordered. "Jack who is that?" Asked Albert. I smiled as I pushed her hair behind her ear.

"My sister."

Teddy's POV: 

I woke up being the warmest I felt in a very long time. I open my eyes to see I'm in a bed wrapped in a blanket. My cut on my forehead has been covered. I have a slight headache but that's probably expected. I don't even know how long I was asleep for.

I look to my right to see a boy snoozing away with his arms crossed leaning back in a little wooden chair. He looked around my age, maybe one year older or so. He had dirty blonde hair and was slightly snoring in his sleep. A chewed up cigar was hanging from his mouth and every time he'd breathe in the cigar would shift upwards. 

I giggled at the sight of this. My slight giggle must have been heard as he jerked up causing the cigar to fall out of his mouth. His eyes opened to reveal a bright blue color just like sapphires. He looked over at me and grinned. Then he jumped up and raced down the hallway.

"Jack! Jack! She's awake!!" 

Jack? Jack! My brother!! I remember he saved me from those boys. What were their names? Ah yes, Oscar and Morris. I can't believe it. It's been 8 years. He found me! Just like he promised he would. Jack saved me. 

 I heard lots of footsteps racing up the stairs and then I saw him. He ran towards me. I leaped out of the bed and met him in the middle, jumping into his arms. "Jack! You found me. After all these years. You finally found me!" I cried with happiness. He squeezed me tighter in our embrace. "I had a promise to keep." He replied. 

Jack put me down. I stood back from him so I could get a proper look at him. A whole bunch of boys surrounded him. I looked to them then back at Jack with a confused expression. "Jack where are we?" I asked.

Jack laughed and then smiled. "This is your new home and all of these guys is your new family. Meet the Newsies of Manhattan." 

Jack lined all the boys up one by one introducing me to them. I immediately felt at home with them. I greeted them all with a hug and a smile. Jack eventually introduced me to the one who was there when I woke up. His name was Race. He's nicknamed that because he likes gambling or something, I don't know I'll have to ask him for definite what's his story once there's time. 

"Wait Kelly, your sister is gonna need a name if she's to be a Newsie." Announced Tommy Boy. All the boys nodded in agreement. "But I already have a name, it's Hea-" Jack cut me off. "Yeah I suppose your right Tommy. Fellas suggestions?" 

I was so confused. Why did I need a new name? I looked to Jack in a state of confusion. He mouthed to me "I'll explain later." 

"Oooh okay I have one!" Declared Jojo. "Your sister greeted every single one of us with hugs like a soft cuddly teddy bear. Why not call her Teddy?" He asked. All the boys seemed to nod in agreement along with a few "yeahs". Jack looked towards me to get my approval. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded. 

He smiled and pulled me over dragging me up onto the table of which he was for some reason already standing on.

"Newsboys of Manhattan. Meet the new and first ever female Newsie, Teddy!!!" He announced lifting my arm in the air. All the boys cheered and clapped chanting out my new name. I smiled. For the first time in a very long time I was happy, I felt at ease.  I had a home. I had a family.

------------------------------

Okay so I just wanted to do like a little back story first of how Teddy ended up in the lodging house. The next chapter will be present time of Teddy's life, three years later when she is sixteen. These last two chapters were just kind of introductions!

Hope you like it so far!!