Chapter 3

Three years later

Teddy's POV: 

"Shit." I announce as I get up from my bed. I may have said it louder than I thought because Jojo arrives at my door peaking his head in. "Whats wrong with you?" He asks. I scurry over to my bed trying to hide the sheets. "Oh, um nothing just stubbed my toe that's all." I smile awkwardly hoping Jojo will soon leave. He looks at me suspiciously then just shrugs and walks off. 

Thank god I was given my own little room in the lodging house. That time of the month is hard enough already. I don't want to have to explain to all the boys the functions of the female body on top of that.

My room used to be a little storage room until Jack decided it was probably for the best if I had my own private space considering I was the only girl in a house full of boys. It was nothing extravagant. Just a bed, a wash basin and a wooden chair. I didn't have many belongings only a locket with my mothers picture inside. I never take it off. It's practically stuck to me like glue. Even when I was living on the streets I wasn't even tempted to sell it to get some money. I'd rather starve than lose this locket. It's all that I have left of my mother.

I cleaned the bed sheets as best as I could in my wash basin and hung it out to dry outside my window. I got dressed and I tied my hair into two french braids and put on my Newsies cap tucking the braids inside it. 

When I walked out to the main boys sleeping area, I was greeted by Crutchie. "Morning Teddy! You look kinda tired and pale. Yous feeling alright?" He questioned. I smiled. "Yes Crutchie I'm fine don't worry." I faked a smile. God I hate being a girl. All the boys really are oblivious to it all. 

From the corner of my eye I could see a shirtless Race swinging from the door frame blocking the path of Buttons who was trying to get into the washroom. Those cigars of his are stuck to his mouth like my locket is to my neck. I don't think I've ever seen him without one. 

Race is mysterious. He keeps his distance from me but at the same time when we do have our encounters, they're... odd. It's like he knows how to get under my skin. He'd call me "princess" along with other babyish names because its a known fact that everyone baby's me and won't let me do things for myself.  The thing is though, I give it right back. I annoy him just as much as he annoys me. I finally figured out why they call him Race because he spends all his earnings gambling at the Sheepshead Races. Much to his displeasure I like to call him "Sheepy" or will randomly make sheep noises when he walks by. 

He hates it but it makes me laugh. It's like our own little game that we hate but secretly love to play on each other. 

"Earth to Teddy? Teddy?" Crutchie snaps his fingers in front of my face to get my attention. "Oh sorry. What were you saying?" I zone back in.

Crutchie continues to go on about some sort of weird object he saw on the street while he was selling yesterday. Something about a peculiar device that projected your voice when you spoke into it. I think he said it's called a microphone. Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me. There's no way an object could do that!

Jack swings his arm over my shoulder. "Why good morning sis!" He chirped. "What's gotten yous in a good mood?" I ask curiously. Jack grins.

"Oh don't mind him!" Crutchie interrupts. "He's been going on about this gal he met at Ms. Medda's theatre last night. Some reporter girl." He finishes. I turn around to Jack to see a daydream look has taken upon his face. "Oh yeah? What's her name so?" I ask.

"Its -" Jack stops mid-sentence. "I don't know her name..." He replies. I roll my eyes. Typical Jack. He's head over heels over a girl who's name he doesn't even know.

I walk away laughing to myself. "Just you wait Teddy. This girl is different. I know it!" He shouts. I turn around and smile. "Sure Jack, sure." I reply smirking. Crutchie's laughing too to which Jack bumps him causing him stumble over a little. 

I walked to the circulation gate with Albert and Jojo, well more so Jojo. Race kept coming up behind Albert and messing with him which resulted in Albert chasing Race. We all got our papers to sell from Weasel but there was a bit of commotion during it. This new kid Davey and his little brother Les thought they'd pay for the papes they sold after a day's work. Pfff rookies..

Jack being the typical Newsie he is saw Les as a money racket. Him and Davey made a deal to sell together because Les would bring in sales. I mean I don't blame him for seeing that opportunity. Les has a very adorable face. It did leave one problem though.

"Uh Jack? And who am I supposed to sell with now?" I ask kinda peeved off.

Jack looks around and smirks.

"Race. Get over here."

Race perks up from reading his newspaper and jogs over to where we're standing. Oh no this can't be good.

"Kenny you'll be selling with Race for the next while until I can get Davey and Les settled in."

"What?!?!" We both shout in unison. 

"Oh hush. It'll be good for yous two. You're always picking on each other maybe you can find this time to actually get over your differences and be friends." He replies. 

"Jack why can't I just sell on my own?! I am sixteen after all. Surely I have to start selling on my own some day?!" I argue. "Kenny we've been through this before. Ain't no way yous selling out there on those dangerous streets on your own." He replies.

I sighed loudly and Race rolled his eyes. 

We both made our way out through the gate. 

This is gonna be a long day.