Chapter 5

Teddy's POV:

Now that I had a point to prove I managed to sell all my papers pretty quickly. It did help that I was good at making up headlines thanks to Jack of course. After I sold my last paper I sprinted to Race and I's meeting point. 

Coming from the other direction I could see Race walking towards the spot. He must have saw me because he quickened up his pace. We both got there at the exact same time. Great...

"Wow Teddy, I'm pleasantly surprised that you managed to finish at the same time as me." He says taking his cigar away from his mouth. "You still didn't beat me though. I'll give ya a head start tomorrow if ya want." He smirks.

"Oh shut up Higgins." I elbow him. Race shuffles back pretending to be hurt while laughing. We walk back to the lodging house as Race continues to annoy me and pester me. "So Princess, how'd you find selling on your own for the first time? Feel all grown up?" He grins. "It was fine actually. No one bothered me or treated me differently surprisingly." I reply back.

"See now yous have to be forever grateful to me for giving yous the freedom." He winks.

 I blushed. Wait, oh no, I'm blushing?!?! The more I'm thinking about blushing I can feel my cheeks getting redder and redder. Why am I blushing? It was just a wink. Race always winks and grins at me, why does it feel different? Is it because of the freedom he gave me today? He didn't treat me like a child unlike everyone else.

"Sweetheart if you blush any harder peoples is gonna mistake you for a strawberry." Race laughs. Oh no he noticed!

"No I-"

"Relax darling, it's a usual reaction when I'm in a woman's presence." He smirks. I shove him causing him to stumble over. He smiled again. That handsome smile. Wait, what's happening to me?!?!

The rest of the walk was in silence. I fumbled with my locket while Race chewed on his cigar. By the time we got back to the lodging house Race turned to me tipped his cap, winked and smiled before disappearing up the stairs. 

I stood there blankly at the bottom of the stairs not knowing what just happened. "Teddy you look likes yous seen a ghost." 

I turn to see Albert standing beside me. "What? No!" I reply back. "Right." He asks suspiciously," "Sooo, how was your day selling with Race?" He asks curiously swinging back and forth on his heels. "It was fine, I had- fun. Why yous asking?"

"Oh uh no reason uh I'm gonna go, see ya." He says smiling running up the stairs. Once again, I stood there confused as ever. What is up with this day.

Albert's POV:

"Well? Did you ask her?" Says Race as I sat down beside him. He was sitting on his bed waiting like a restless puppy. 

"Yes I asked her. She said she had fun. There. Ya happy?" I ask. 

"Did she say anything else?" He asked eagerly. I shook my head. 

For as long as I can remember Race has had the biggest crush on Teddy. I can still remember when Teddy first arrived at the lodging house, she was all Race would ever talk about. Unfortunately Race has an unusual way of showing his affection but at the same time I think it might be working. I'd often catch Teddy staring over at him. Of course I'd never say it to Teddy that I've noticed this. She'd probably threaten me of some sorts if I said it.

"Race just keep doing what you're doing. The teasing seems to be working from what I can see. Just stick to what feels comfortable to you." I assured him.

Race continued on to tell me about his day and how she was blushing when he teased her just as Teddy came into the room.

Teddy's POV:

I made my way up the stairs to see most of the boys chilling on their beds while others were playing cards. I look over to see Race and Albert together in what looks to be an intense conversation. I wonder what that's about. 

Albert looks over to me and then resumes his conversation with Race. Oh no Race is probably telling him about the blushing incident. This is so embarrassing. With that, Race and Albert stand up. Race grabs his cap and makes his way past me towards the door. Before he leaves he comes right up close to my face and leans in towards my ear. 

"Like I said before Teddy, I've got places to be after work hours, can't have any delays." He whispers making the butterflies in my stomach flutter. I see Albert grinning from the corner of my eye.

I make my way over to Albert and plop myself down beside him. "Alright Albert spill it." I insisted. Albert's eyes widened. "I have no idea what you're on about Teddy." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes. "I'll get it out of you eventually." I sigh getting up and going towards my room. 

"Never! I've been sworn to secrecy!" Albert shouts.

"Aha! So there is something going on." I turn around crossing my arms and smiling. 

"Shit." He mumbled. 

"I knew it!" I say as I walk back towards where Albert was sitting. "Listen Teddy, Race is my best friend. Some things are better kept quiet until it's the right time." Albert concluded. I nodded slowly. I didn't really know what to say. I wanted Albert to tell me what was going on but it really did not seem like the best timing.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait for whatever it is.