Chapter 6

Teddy's POV:

It was the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep one bit. My head was spinning from all these new emotions. Did I like Race? What were him and Albert discussing that was so secretive? 

I got up out of bed to go the rooftop. I had to pass the boy's beds to get there. My eyes scanned the room. Race's bed was empty. He still must not be home from wherever he decided to go. I hope he's okay. God dammit Teddy, get him out of your head!

I opened the door to the rooftop area to feel the nightly breeze cast upon me. The stars were twinkling away. The streets below were empty. The city was sleeping. 

That's when I saw him. I could see the outline of his dirty blonde curls in the moonlight. He was sitting on the ledge of the building with his legs dangling over the side. 

"Is the sheep lost?" I called out. He turned around to meet my eye contact before turning back to his gaze. I walk over to him and join him on the ledge. I can see him clearly now. His bright blue eyes glistening from the reflection of the stars.

"Why is yous up?" He asks quietly. I smirk. "I could ask you the same thing." I reply. He doesn't smile back. He's just kind of in a daze. 

"I uh- I just couldn't sleep that's all." I murmured. Still no answer. "Race?" Nothing. 

"Race why won't you look at me?" I blurted turning his head to face me, cupping his cheeks in my little hands. 

And there we were. The two of us staring into each others eyes. I could feel Race holding in his breath just like I was. Our gaze still focusing on one another, neither of us moving an inch.

"Teddy I-" He began. "Race just tell me what's wrong!" I whispered choking back the tears I could feel beginning to form. 

"I can't. I- it's too hard for me to say it." He whimpered as a single tear ran down his face and onto my hand where they were still placed on his cheeks. 

"Fine." I sniffled breaking away from him. "I eh, I'm gonna go." I sighed standing up and going towards the door. "Don't stay up here too much longer, it's cold." I say trying to act like everything was fine. 

I opened the door and hesitated just before going through it, hoping Race will call me back or try stop me from leaving, but there was nothing. It was silent. 

I managed to make it past all the boy's beds without bursting out into tears. I got to my room, shut the door and let out the sadness I was holding in. "Why was he so quiet with me? What couldn't he tell me? Why is he affecting me so much all of a sudden? 

I flopped down into my bed letting the tears pour onto my pillow. I don't know how long I cried until I drifted off to sleep.

Races POV:

 I should have called her back. I should have told her what was going on. It was the perfect time to tell her how I really felt. I could have stared into her hazel eyes forever, but I screwed it up. I  had my chance but  I lost it. She's probably mad at me now. I don't blame her. 

She was only concerned for me and what did I do? I blanked her for no reason. 

She's probably so confused now. I was always flirty, confident, annoying Race to her. Now she saw this vulnerable side of me that I can't explain to her.

I didn't even go gambling after work today. To be quite honest I haven't gone there in a while. I've been visiting the cemetery, to see my mom. 

I still remember going to visit her the first time I had met Teddy. I knew straight away she was special. Mom would have loved her I just know it. I'd visit mom frequently telling her stories about Teddy and the other Newsies. I know she can't answer but I know she's listening.