Captain Ri's choice, for life... - Episode 15, season 2

En başından başla

- Jeong Hyeok... - Jin-Tae realized he meant what he said but the risk was too high: - If you are caught... And your parents, here... A tragedy can happen...

- There's no bigger tragedy than staying away from Se Ri and my twins. If she goes, I know something bad will happen... Since yesterday I have this bad feeling something will happen to Se Ri...

- She was just telling me she was going to stay with you...

- This is just too much for her... She has already suffered so much. So, your secret services can put me in jail. I don't mind. I need to make sure my wife gets safe and sound to Seoul and that my twins are well taken care, by a good hospital. Something my country unfortunately can't provide.

- You know I'll do my best to keep you out of jail... even if we have to provide you a false identity and erase any trace of your presence in Seoul... You know there are many Northern agents in the South and I believe one would gladly put a bullet in your head, if he could... just to get a stupid medal!

- That's a risk I'm willing to take... - Jeong Hyeok looked behind and his eyes met Se Re. - She is my life. She is my story, my destiny... I'll take whatever it takes...

- I understand... but, your parents?

- My parents... - Jeong Hyeok's face expression was suddenly sad and concerned: - I just hope my father can manage to put this plan in motion... It was a possibility, we both knew...

-

Jeong Hyeok's father got a phone call from a secure line that same moment. His father. With further ado, he picked the phone and listen carefully to what he was telling him. He nodded and simply said:

- I'll take care of Captain Woo Dong Choi or whoever steps in our way, don't worry. Once you get there, tell your father in law I'll keep in touch. Stay next to your wife, my son. I hope to see you soon.

Seo Dan could read in Jin-Tae's eyes something serious was about to happen: he seemed compromised and there could have been a dramatic change of plans...

Jeong Heyok gently took his place next to Se Ri and whispered:

- Let's go, my love. It's time for us to take you to the boat. You're too heavy for me to carry you... - he was teasing her for sure and his words had the effect he wanted, since she immediately said: - Dear husband, are you implying I'm fat?

- No. Just for you to hurry 'cause I want to reach that boat on time.

- I refuse to go on that boat...

- So... Are you saying you stay here and I go?

Se Ri stopped walking and stared at her husband... What was he saying?

- Jeong Hyeok... What did you just say?

He could listen to her trembling voice, the emotion increasing on each of her words... So, he just held her hands and told her, unable to stop tears roling down his face:

- There's no goodbye, this time. My love, I'm going with you, I have to make sure you arrive safely home. There's not something I can ask Jin-Tae or anybody else. That's my job, as a husband and as a father...

He quickly glanced her belly and a sudden joy invaded Se Ri's heart! They were coming home, the four of them!

- We'll get a solution once we get there, so now, I just want you to focus on staying calm and trust me. We have to get to that boat as soon as possible.

The couple started walking, down the hill. Seo Dan was puzzled with that twist of events... Was she supposed to return home, alone, now? Of course that decision made sense... They belonged together, after all... They had to be together...

- Seo Dan... - whispered Jin-Tae: - Are you alright?

She blinked twice and smiled (and that smile hit his heart as if the arrow of Cupid had striken him irrevocably...) to him.

- Yes, I am. And I am happy for them...

- I wish I could stay... - He confessed, holding her hand: - I can't stay much longer but I want to see you again...

If he could only stop the time! Why did each minute next to her seemed like a second, a hour a minute...?! There was so much he wanted to share with her... to tell her...

- When are you returning to Beijing?

- Next month... But I can go sooner...

- You can? - Jin-Tae's voice couldn't hide the anticipation to see her again. - And... would you meet me, there, if I asked you?

Seo Dan smiled once more. He was so cute when his expression was the one of a shy boy, carefully choosing the right words...

- Yes. I would... If you asked me.

- Meet me. In five days. I'll be there. I just have to make sure I can help these two, back in Seoul... I'll do my best to protect them... Then, I'll go to Beijing. To see you once more... I have to see you once more...

Jin-Tae forgot reached her lips and kissed her... a swift but gentle kiss, a promise many more would come, if she'd meet him in five days.

- I'll be there... - she whispered.

He smiled and started running down the hill, just in time to reach Jeong Hyeok and Se Ri getting on board. He looked, one last time, behind, and there she was, so beautiful, so forbidden... In five days. In five days they'd resume their story, and he couldn't wait for that moment to come...

Jeong Hyeok was suprised to know his father had paid for an extra passenger... not two, but three so he realized his father had already predicted what his son would end up to do. He could only hope now the journey would end well and that his parents would manage to escape from their country. That would mean plan C would have result.

Se Ri, Jeong Hyeok and Jin-Tae had just taken their seats, when the captain of the vessel informed them the boat was about to leave. Jeong Hyeok looked at the hill in front of them and a strange feeling of emptiness filled his heart... That was probably the last time he would see his country. Deep inside, he knew. All he had been so far, all he had done, the memories with his parents, his brother... even his encounter with Se Ri, so many years, after Switzerland. All his past would remain there...

Se Ri touched his hand and told him, sensing a glimps of sadness on her husband's eyes:

- We can always stay... there's still time...

He smiled. That was out of question:

- No, my dear... My past is here, but my future is right next to me... no matter what may come.

They kissed.
That moment was the key moment for them to focus on the future, their future, and not to regret what had stayed in the past.

Little by little, they were leaving the shore behind, until the Captain returned, flushed and said:

- You have to come and see this, with your own eyes...

Both Se Ri and Jeong Hyeok looked at each other. Could it be another inspection, like the one they had the last time they had been trying to escape by boat?

Jin-Tae was the first one to leave, then Se Ri followed by her husband. When they reached outside, they couldn't believe their own eyes, because they could never expect that kind of surprise...