Who are you trying to convince? - begining of episode 2

This scene would take place, immediately after the begining of episode 2

There is something about her...

Jeong Hyeok kept breathing heavily, next to that woman. He had managed to get to her on time... had she been caught by Jo Cheol-kang, and he there would nothing he could do...

Once he ad seen her, in the middle of the street, nothing else had crossed his mind but to pull her out of there. Bring her home had been the last thought but, then again, where else could he hide her? It was a matter of time, until the whole village would find out he had just saved a southern woman's life.

«What are you doing, Jeong Hyeok? I should just kill her and, end of story! Got plenty of excuses to do so... she must be a spy... no other woman would run so fast, never showing fear, thriving for her life and, when I point her the way home, she ends up here? Naw... this woman is tricky and I'd better assess the whole situation, before I make a move».

However, staring at her eyes, blocking her with his body, against the door, he couldn't help but thinking there was something about her... she didn't look guilty, she actually looked lost, yes, but like a kitty cornered and waiting for the best chance to escape... he took a few moments to look at her, since she was doing the same, about him... She was beautiful, expressive eyes, cherry lips, skin smooth and pale as porcelain, her hair, dark and silky, was that kind of hair you just want to touch and her scent... he could swear she was perfumed with flowers and honey...

Then, she smiled. Boy, she could smile...

«This woman is... is... what is she trying to do?! Is she flirting me?»

- I thought you were back – I just said... Wait, was she actually saying she was relieved to see him again?!

She was and, even though he had been trained never to succumb to women temptation, the thing was she was his type. And that could affect him somehow... for few seconds, he moved his eyesight away from her, trying to decide what to do. He knew that decision would be crucial because he could either turn her in or hide her, until he decided what to do...

One thing was for certain, once in prison, that woman, with that looks, would be a delight for dozens of soldiers, eager to get their share on such a beautiful creature...

«She sneaked over the Military Demarcation Line, without showing an intention to defect. Based on the rules, I must get rid of her».

«Should I kill her? Should I kill her? Oh think Jeong Hyeok, think! Stop staring at her like that! Don't get impressed by her face, her sweet talking and her smile... that smile... and don't you even think about taking her home, not even for some food or water. You know what you must do... You are a trained soldier so, do your duty. Now!

One hour later, she's in the bathroom, fixing herself. I'm in the kitchen cooking. For her. And I don't even know why I'm doing all this food, I should just give her something and call someone to pick her up, but no. I still have to figure out who she is and what are her intentions, here. I learned to cook with my mother and I know that, despite the fact she's probably an enemy, something tells me she really is hungry and she really needs to eat properly...

She leaves the bathroom, hesitating at first, but she has that adaptability skill that makes her feel at ease, wherever she is. My place is not an exception. I invite her to seat and, moments later she is staring at my food. Hesitating. She is starving but she fears something... better saying, she fears me. I'm an enemy, a man of the North and she is here alone with me, and all that I possibly mean. Could it be she thinks the food is poisoned? That's why she's inventing that silly excuse on how I should eat first...

My, got to admit, this woman has got a lot of nerve...

«Are you concerned about what's in the food? In case it's poisonous?»

There. I nailed. Now, she seems ashamed. That's to be expected... I wonder how I'd react if I were in her shoes. I'd probably had the same attitude. But I can't show her any kind of sympathy... she may be playing a role, trying to soften my heart, one can never be too careful.

So, I decide to make her see I have all the reasons to suspect from her. She is suspicious. And I don't trust her either so, we both have issues of trust, here...

She's telling me now she is not a spy, rather a very rich woman and once all Seoul and the International Community (has she just mentioned de UN???) learns she's in North Korea, there'll be an international incident.

I look at her and, I suddenly say: «Then I won't let the know.»

She suddenly stops, looking at me, puzzled... for the first time, I see a spark of fear, in her eyes... she's afraid I'll make her disappear, for sure. I tell her it's one of the possibilities and she's using all her persuasion skills to convince me otherwise. I must say she puzzles me. She amuses me... she's quite different from all the women I met before. She's a survivor and I admire, in that sense... Oh no... she's coming with that «high class thing», again... Is she going to offer me money? Really? Bribe me?! Of all people?! I just keep on saying «I'm not interested»! It takes a lot more to talk me in, than a pretty face, a gorgeous smile and some witty talk. She's gonna have to do a lot better than that!

Oh, that capitalist way of thinking!!!!! Really?! She wants to negotiate for my kindness, so I tell her – and I know she was mad after I said it – I wouldn't treat her with kindness.

She's mad. Not only because I refused to play her game – and how persuasive that woman can be?! – but especially because I took the food away...

Suddenly, someone knocks at the door. Now what? How am I going to justify the presence of this woman, here? Can't a guy be left alone?

(To be continued)