FIVE 」FORKS

6.

"GRIDDY'S DOUGHNUTS?" Y/N read the sign aloud and sighed. "Now that's a far cry from burritos," She remarked and turned her head to the boy who only forced a smile, refraining the urge to reply in a manner she wouldn't like.

Five got out of the car. The girl followed as she pulled the glass door of the cafe open. Both of them sat on the stool beside each other in silence. The door opened again to reveal a man who took his seat on the boy's left. Once again, the quiet filled the place. However, it was suddenly cut short by a ding of a bell that the young Hargreeves himself toggled.

The dishes clattered in the kitchen as no one from the staff responded to the call. Not a few minutes later, a woman in a pink uniform walked to the place behind the counter with a smile, wiping her hands on the fabric of her clothes.

The woman sighed, "Sorry, the sink was clogged,' she chuckled and pulled a pen from her pocket, smiling. "So, what'll it be?"

"Uh, give me a chocolate éclair," The man said. The waitress humned in response as she wrote his order.

"Sure. Can I get the kids a glass of milk or something?"

Y/N frowned. "Did she just assume — ?" She whispered to Five who nudged her elbow to shut her up.

The boy scoffed and went along with it. "The kids want coffee. Black."

"Cute kid," The woman stated.

"I wouldn't call him that if I were you," Callisto snorted. "He's more on the mental sorts."

They all looked at her as she cleared her throat and looked away, scratching her head to ignore the itchy feeling of their eyes. The waitress pulled a reluctant smile before disappearing again to the kitchen to prepare what they ordered.

"Don't remember this place as a shithole. I used to come here as a kid. Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and ate doughnuts till we puked. Simpler times, huh?" He referred to the man who looked at him as if he'd grown two heads before clearing his throat.

"I suppose," The man replied and fixed his gaze at Y/N who took the bell on the counter, examining her distorted reflection. "What's your sister's name?"

"I'm not his sister, I'm his friend," She corrected and put the bell down to hold her hand out for him to shake. "I'm Y/N. Nice to meet you." The man was about to take it when the pink doughnut lady came with their order.

"Here. I got theirs," He stated and took a bill out from his wallet.