17 | go get your girl

DEDICATED TO GABBY/HYRULE

I remember reading Smitten Kitten such a looong time ago, but even then, the feelings I felt when reading it the first time around, is still so clear. it was cozy and lovely and so very dear to my heart. if I'm not mistaken, I recall a wedding party scene towards the end of the book which kind of reminds me of this book's overall vibe ahaha. anywho, thank you for writing even when you felt unmotivated (I very much feel that rn), and giving us such beautiful stories! hope you are safe and well. <3

MY MOTHER STARED at me with the most intense set of eyes that could be branded as the Korean-mother death glare: the glare to end all glares

MY MOTHER STARED at me with the most intense set of eyes that could be branded as the Korean-mother death glare: the glare to end all glares. But it wasn't just that that took me off my guard as I entered the front door of my parents' place; it was the smell of herbs but in a deep and rich way, its smell intensifying each second I stood there.

"Where is that from?" I pointed towards the bundle of lavendar sitting on the kitchen counter, a single thread of twine keeping it together.

"What do you think?" My mother folded her arms across her chest as she continued glaring at me, at my soul.

"Are you mad because I almost hit your car while driving that one time?"

"Wait." She held up a hand, closed her eyes, and breathed in deeply through her flared nostrils. "When was that?"

"Oh, nevermind. It's nothing." Attempting to change the trajectory of the conversation, I opened the fridge and peered inside at its contents. "Want me to make your favorite scones?"

"The lemon poppy seed ones?" My mother piped in enthuasism, almost as if we weren't just having an extremely tense conversation. The sound of a chair screeched for a moment with what I assumed was her taking a seat on one of the barstools facing the kitchen.

"Yeah. It's Zaiden's favorite too," I hummed in response as I took out the required ingredients.

"Who's Zaiden?"

"East's best friend. Him and his girlfriend are both super nice."

A long, exaggerated pause stretched between us as I transferred the ingredients from the fridge to the empty space of counter not occupied by the lavendar.

"You still don't know who gave you the lavendar?" my mother dumbfoundly asked as she briefly eyed the strong smelling plant before looking back up at me.

I hesitated, chewing on the inside of my cheeks. "Dad?"

"Aigoo, Jin Ae. For a girl with big ambitions to become a credible baker, you're pretty dense."

"As a matter of fact," I said, washing my hands under the running water, "I am a credible baker as of yesterday, thank you very much."

"You bought a place for the bakery?"