04 | hello again

DEDICATED TO ARA

my ara, my penguin, my baby. thank you for loving the heck outta me and my stories, despite both of them being so eh. your endless support always has me wondering how I've gotten so lucky to be graced with your beautiful presence. I love you to pieces. here's to many more months being the best of friends.

Two months later

Two months later...

MY NIGHTSTAND TREMBLED uncontrollably, vibrations abruptly breaking through the thick layer of silence that once encased my apartment. My cramped, messy apartment to be exact, that hadn't been tended to for over a month now, mostly because of my dating schedule, but more realistically because of my unwillingness to do adult things.

I ignored it the first couple of times, thinking it was my alarm clock waking me up for a job that I no longer had. But when it continued persisting like my last blind date and his requests for a second date, I found my buzzing phone sliding towards the edge of the stand, on the other side of my bed covers.

"What?" I croaked into the phone, my sleepy voice evidently present.

A gasp was heard on the line. "Seo Jin Ae. Is that any way to speak to your Eomma?" my mom fiercely scolded, that I could almost feel her wrath even through the device and distance between us.

Ah, shit, I mouthed to myself, smacking my forehead with the palm of my head. "Jaseong haeyo. I'm sorry," I said, my words in a flurry, "I just woke up."

"What do you mean you just woke up? It's four in the afternoon, Jin Ae!" she screeched, causing my head to instinctively wrench back to save my eardrums from hearing loss. After giving her a brief moment to rant to me, about me, in rushed Korean, my eyes rolling to the back of my head as I waited for her to finish, I brought the phone back up to my ear.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I've just been in a bit of a rut lately."

"Is this because of that job? You've got to get over it, Jin Ae. It's already been over a month since you've left. The world keeps going, whether you like it or not."

I was about to take the device away from my ear again, refusing to listen to her all-too-true but redundant speech on why she was right, and how I was stupid for thinking that I could make a living on my own. But, much to my surprise, she decided to take a different approach.

"I didn't call to lecture you though. I actually called to invite you to dinner."

"So you can lecture me at dinner, instead?" I puffed out a breath that shifted a blonde strand out of my eye.

"Ani. No," my mom simply stated, irritation laced in her words, "Your dad and I wanted to have dinner with our strange daughter of ours, who's too stubborn for her own good."