The court stilled at her words, men murmuring that they knew Cavatine women were trained in the art of knife fighting. Whereas that wouldn't necessarily be a problem against sword fighters, if she had the ability to use deadly poison without detection, which man would step forward to fight her?

If there was no Champion, the King himself would have to fight her, risking himself or a forfeit, which would allow her to leave unscathed. For all the brave talk of the Sellexun fighters, there was a hesitation in the crowd as each fighter weighed his own chances of survival. They were afraid for their lives, let alone the success of this trial.

"Sellexu honours its laws. You will have your combat." King Caelur said, standing and moving as if to draw his own sword. The women moved away from Emeltra, and the space in the throne room widened to allow it.

Wyn saw concern on some of the faces of the court, though there were more who merely looked relieved that they would not be called on to fight. Wyn almost grimaced at the distaste of it, knowing that they would let their King risk his own life and then attempt to clean up the mess afterwards.

"My weapons of choice are my knives, they have pearl handles, and were seized when I was arrested." Lady Emeltra said smugly, tying her hair up out of her features as she watched the King hungrily.

"Regency, you can't." Lady Lyana said, shaking her head and letting out a breath, as the knives were handed to her from one of the palace guards. "No man can, it's too dangerous, I believe she will use whatever poison she used on Shiar, that she has it on her person. Despite being searched."

Lyana then looked to one of her brother's men at arms and motioned to him, and he nodded. The man was holding the swords she had just begun learning to use, and he began walking them towards the front of the throne room for her.

One of the odd laws of Sellexu, was that, unless Knighted, no-one but a courtier could fight in such a challenge. Shiar's men Caelur's guards, could only stand by and watch whatever was about to go down, helpless.

Emeltra's smile grew even more smug as she was handed her knives from Lyana, winking to the girl. "So, I will end the D'Ilnza line in one day... quite a turn of fate. I've watched you train child, you will lose. And then your brother will die."

Lyana blanched, before stubbornly reaching out for her swords, doing her best to harden her expression. Though Lyana's hands shook, she did not falter or respond to Emeltra, and Wyn knew that the girl would do what she could to help her brother. The master at arms paused, clearly torn, and not wanting to allow her to fight and thus holding them out of her reach. It was in that delay that Wyn took her chance.

Lady Wyn moved out from where she had been standing silently, turning to bow to Caelur who stood on the top step, hand on his hilt, watching the exchange with a great deal of consternation. She could see from his expression that he wanted to overrule Lyana's volunteering for champion and was wracking his brain for the precedent to allow him to do so. The convoluted rules of Sellexun court meant that he couldn't turn down a Champion without any other option.

He could only overrule it by endangering himself and Wyn wouldn't allow him to do that, any more than she was willing to allow Lyana to.

With a steadying breath, she forced her voice to come out calmly. "King Caelur, while old laws are being enacted today, to deal with treason and murderers, I wish to enact an even older law. The one that allows any noble openly accepted as members of the Court while on diplomatic duty, to represent Sellexu's Regent in an open trial, combat or otherwise."

Caelur paused, watching her for a long moment, his jaw setting hard. "Lady Wyn Lac, of Aupana. You offer to risk your life for a matter that does not affect your diplomatic mission to Sellexu. You agree to carry out the justice decreed by myself, Regent King of Sellexu?"